Freaky "nerite"?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This is a new nerite, I think. I've had it a few days, it's orange and yellow, looks nice, but it just climbed on the glass today, and it's freaky looking. The mouth is unlike any other nerite mouth I have seen, and the eyes are entirely white. It looks blind. It's seriously the mouth that's freaking me out though, I haven't seen the raspjng tongue it just elongates it's mouth horizontally and then stretches it back. Is this even a nerite? The shell shape looks extacly like a nerite, and it's been eating algae and stuff like one, but I don't know.
Edit: I know the nerites have the black around their mouths, this one is just moving it really weird and isn't a type of nerite coloration I know, granted I don't know that many, but it's not an olive, tiger, zebra, black racer, horned, or any of the more common ones.

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok great, thank you. I was just having issues in that tank as well, I guess I'm just a bit on edge
It just bothers me that the mouth hasn't circled yet and I haven't seen a rasping tongue... oh well, snails are weird anyway.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SFGiantsGuy said:
Nerites can be weird--but good!!! Always good. Rabbit snails are even weirder lol
i want a rabbit snail so bad, but my tank isnt in good shape right now to look for one

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
SFGiantsGuy said:
Nerites can be weird--but good!!! Always good. Rabbit snails are even weirder lol
I mean, they're good for algae but the bioload is kinda high in the QT I have a few others in... plus my two rabbits, those things are much weirder. I was given them since they were labeled at MTS but nope they're gold rabbits. Very weird snail....
And Ms Rose, what kind of shape is your tank in? Just not cycled, or what? Because mine have been doing fine in a tank that's technically not suitable for them (ex. gravel, lower temps, non specific feeding)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom