Freaking Out - Red Worm In Aquarium Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by happah, Aug 25, 2018.

1. happah

happahValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +125
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hello guys,

So I was just looking at my aquarium a couple of minutes ago, when I noticed a red, thickish worm on the substrate near the roots of a plant. It was quite big (much thicker than a bloodworm). When I went in the aquarium with the tweezers to grab it, it dissapeard instantly - swam extremely fast somewhere I didn't even see where. I tried again after I located it - the same thing, it basically teleported and I lost it.

I obviously couldn't get a photo, or remove it. Anyone has an idea about what it could be? Is it dangerous?

2. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +758
    Could it be a tubifex worm? If yes, then it is nothing to worry about. Could actually be a nice treat for fish.

3. yukondog

yukondogWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +980
    Experience:
    5 years
    Try a turkey baster the clear plastic doesn't seem to spook things as much.

4. OP
    OP
    happah

Ratings:
    +125
    Experience:
    1 year
    It emerged again, and got a picture.

5. sloughdog

sloughdogWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +389
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Looks like a planaria to me...possibly a leech. If you have shrimp, and it’s a planarian get it out. Fish will eat planaria and leeches but it might be too big at this point for a fish to eat.

6. OP
    OP
    happah

Ratings:
    +125
    Experience:
    1 year
    **** bugger is too fast for me; everytime I try to catch it it dissapears somewhere.

7. OP
    OP
    happah

Ratings:
    +125
    Experience:
    1 year
    UPDATE: I finally caught last night at 02:00 - an almost 10 cm long.....earthworm? It looks exactly like an earthworm - the kind you use for fishing. In my whole fisherman life I always knew that these guys die in water; they preffer moist soil, so how on earth did one manage to 1) get in and 2) survive and thrive for so long in an aquarium?

8. allllien

allllienWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +388
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It looks like a leech to me, but if you say it looks like an earthworm, then I have no idea? From memory though, when they stretch out they're long, thin and pinkish, so might resemble an earthworm, but if you see it bunch up and flatten out on a hard surface, then it's probably a leech. I had them in one of my tanks once, took me ages to catch the buggers lol.

9. OP
    OP
    happah

Ratings:
    +125
    Experience:
    1 year
    Now I regret I didn't take a photo before I flushed it down the toilet. Yes, it was long, pink-redish, but also seemed to display those ringy pattern specific to earthworms, and from what I saw, it didn't really flatten (I could be wrong, I didn't analyze it too much - it was 02:00 and I was happy to finally catch the ba***rd).

10. allllien

allllienWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +388
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I just googled 'fresh water leech' in google images, because I couldn't quite remember, but some of them do seem to resemble earthworms when stretched out -have a look and see if that's what you think it was? Keep a close eye out as there may be more, I thought I only had one but there ended up being a second. I had no idea what they were either until I went googling, all I know is it freaked me right out lol because I'd never seen anything like that in a tank before. And being pinkish too, I'd only ever seen black leeches that looked more smooth and shiny than these.

11. OP
    OP
    happah

Ratings:
    +125
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hm, would a worm trap work on those? Should I put one in the aquarium for a few days, just in case there's more?