Freaking Out Here. What Are These?

Ariel4891

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did a water change like normal today, decided to clean out my filter. This is a filter that I used to set up my new aquarium and it has not been touched for about a month and a half. All my water levels are great, I just wanted to rinse out the sponge part. I took everything out and saw these little things.

I'm not normally squeamish, but I am getting seriously grossed out over here. I honestly don't know what to do

There's like 5 of them
20180504_093201.jpg

Okay, so they're also in my bag of ceramic biofilter.

Help

CMA13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you feed your betta live worms? Maybe it's some that got sucked into the filter?

(I'd be squeamish too! lol)

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I can't accurately identify, but I've been having issues with fly larvae and they look like they could be a type of fly larvae. Do you get a lot of bugs in your house?

Ariel4891

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No, this isn't even my betta tank although now I'm getting paranoid about that one too. This is a 29 gallon tank with 12 serpae tetras and 7 corydoras. The picture has the tank, with all the food I ever put in there. I only ever put in hikari sinking Wafers, sinking shrimp pellets, and the tetras micro pellets
20180504_095123.jpg

Rtessy said:
I can't accurately identify, but I've been having issues with fly larvae and they look like they could be a type of fly larvae. Do you get a lot of bugs in your house?
Could be. I don't have lid on the tank right now, since I wasn't able to find one that fit in my budget. I think I might just bite the bullet and buy one though

CMA13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ariel4891 said:
Could be. I don't have lid on the tank right now, since I wasn't able to find one that fit in my budget. I think I might just bite the bullet and buy one though
I think Rtessy is right. If you google images of fly larva in tanks, it does look pretty darn similar.

Ariel4891

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I looked it up and it kind of looks like crane fly larvae? I think? That's the only bug that I can think of we get here often.

I'm just very glad that I haven't eaten breakfast yet cuz I might have lost it.

So I scrubbed out my filter and got them all out, and I'm hoping that my Sponge Filter will make up for any bacteria that I lost from my hob.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
always a big bummer having to mess with ones cycle, but i would hve done same thing you did,,,,,, FOR SURE LOL

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
One thing I will say is that my lid made the problem so much worse. I'm dealing with fruit fly larvae and the lid just Las so much moisture that there are tons and tons of larvae and the adults are just chilling on the underside of the lid. My best guess would be that since you don't have a lid collecting moisture, they used the filter instead.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom