Freak Accident!!

1. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

so the other day, i did a water change in one of my 10 gallon betta tanks. Which also houses a single male guppy i bred and three pygmy cories. I use a aqueon water changer thing that hooks to the sink, and because its a small tank I just use the hose end to syphon water out. But i accidentally sucked up my poor guppy, bob. I realized it quickly and flipped the water back to drain him back to the tank. I felt horrible :( he's such a beautiful fish and has incredible delta style tail. so far he seems fine and eats like normal etc.

has anyone else ever had a freak accident like this??

2. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

I would be willing to bet it has happened to most of us at one time or another. Mine happened to be a cory :) He is alive and well none the worse for the experience. Hopefully it will be the same for your little guy.

3. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Valued Member Member

Obviously we try to avoid it, but yeah, it happens.
    For all we know, it's like a super fun waterslide for fish.
    So try not to feel too guilty. :p

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Ive sucked up a minnow before but it had a filter, he was fine.

5. sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

I swear my ember tetras try to get sucked up. They're constantly checking out the tube when I do water changes so I always have to keep a close eye on them. Silly fishes :emoji_face_palm:

6. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

I don't use a syphon in my 10G cause my rasboras and baby cories are so tiny I did the same thing and now scoop out water with a turkey baster. :) You're not alone, he should be fine.

7. Seth15

Seth15 Valued Member Member

I wouldn't feel bad, we all make mistakes from time to time. As much as we try to be, we are not perfect.

I made a mistake a while back, not too proud if it. I was doing a re-scape on my shell dweller tank. I was too busy trying to re-decorate the tank that I didn't realize that some of my Shellies hid in the shells. I removed the shells and after about thirty minutes of rearranging the tank I counted my shellies and realized that two were missing. I checked the shells that I took out and their they were inside all dried up. I quickly put them in the tank and only one made it.

My tip to anyone is to always check any decoration your fish can get inside before taking It out of water. I'm sharing this story so that anyone can maybe learn from my mistake

8. sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

That must have been hard. :( Thanks for sharing!

I had a close call with my otos who like to hide in the nooks and crannies of my decor. They don't come out even if I shake it around and stick my fingers in there so try not to move my decor too much in case one of them is hiding.

I actually did take a stowaway nerite out with a piece of decor and didn't notice it until I found it in the bucket as I was putting everything away. Luckily it wasn't too long and the snail didn't seem too shook up about the spontaneous trip out of the tank. Like you said, we all make mistakes!

9. wodesorel

wodesorel Well Known Member Member

I've had a few bettas dive bomb the siphon and get stuck in the flexible tubing, had to cut one out once. Ended up with kuhlis and baby guppies in the bucket on more occations than I care to admit. Kuhlis are really bad at hiding in decor, I always bucket anything getting removed and check repeatedly for stowaways for a day. I also agree about the ember tetras, those things have a death wish when it comes to siphons!

10. Seth15

No problem, I shared this little story in hopes that this kind of mistake can be avoided in the future by other hobbiests. It was a little hard, I felt a little careless and discouraged, but realized that we all aren't perfect. Also, no need to cry over spilled milk right?

11. Bearwithfish

Bearwithfish Valued Member Member

Yeah I tend to agree - I think EVERYONE has done this at one point or another. If not, they will sooner or later. I accidentally sucked up a fancy goldfish from the back end recently. He was SUPER upset about it for sure, but within an hour he was swimming normal and doing his fishy thing with no ill effects.

He still kicking 8 months later so all is well..

12. CanadianFishFan

Well actually when breeding many times small fry get sucked up, thats why you do it in a bucket with fry. Then you can scoop em out!

13. Seth15

A tip to avoid this is if you are using a siphon or pump is to simply put a fine mesh net around the hole. This will prevent fry from getting sucked up but still allow for water to exit. It also saves from having to scoop the fry out of a bucket if you accidentally suck them up.

14. CanadianFishFan

Ive never bred or plan to breed soon but great tip!

15. Seth15

Thanks, just thought I'd share.:)

16. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, it’s happened before!
    Just the other day, my rescue crowntail betta went flying up the siphon, and I had to pull it out to drain him back down.