Frayed fins in my goldfish

Sara538

You must be registered to see images
A couple days ago I noticed one of my goldfish, a little telescope eye, had started to developed a small split in his tail. I didn’t think this was strange as he’s quite sensitive; sometimes he gets it but it always clears up in a couple days.

I went to check on him today and it had gotten a little worse. But I’ve also noticed that another two of my fish have developed it too. One of them has just started changing colours so wondered if maybe all the energy he is using is contributing to the fraying, and the other one only has very minor fraying.

It doesn’t look like fin rot to me, as it’s not jagged or white/discoloured etc, but quite uniformed. I changed the water two days ago and added a bunch of live plants, also added API Aquarium salt.

I also tested the water this evening, and the levels are fine, ammonia, nitrate and nitrites are all 0, but the pH is VERY acidic 6.4. This acidic pH has been an ongoing problem with our water but I use pH up to manage that.

So, any suggestions as to what’s happening? Am I overreacting, or doing something wrong? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Tigerburp

A couple days ago I noticed one of my goldfish, a little telescope eye, had started to developed a small split in his tail. I didn’t think this was strange as he’s quite sensitive; sometimes he gets it but it always clears up in a couple days.

I went to check on him today and it had gotten a little worse. But I’ve also noticed that another two of my fish have developed it too. One of them has just started changing colours so wondered if maybe all the energy he is using is contributing to the fraying, and the other one only has very minor fraying.

It doesn’t look like fin rot to me, as it’s not jagged or white/discoloured etc, but quite uniformed. I changed the water two days ago and added a bunch of live plants, also added API Aquarium salt.

I also tested the water this evening, and the levels are fine, ammonia, nitrate and nitrites are all 0, but the pH is VERY acidic 6.4. This acidic pH has been an ongoing problem with our water but I use pH up to manage that.

So, any suggestions as to what’s happening? Am I overreacting, or doing something wrong? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
Clean water is often the best cure but salt also helps to a certain extent

Sara538

Clean water is often the best cure but salt also helps to a certain extent
So just continue to keep the water clean until it clears up?

Tigerburp

So just continue to keep the water clean until it clears up?
Yup, It should start to heal soon

StarGirl

Thanks!
Welcome to Fishlore! :)

How long has this tank been set up? How often do you change water and how much?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
Replies
Views
Buddyrhea
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views