Frank the Cranky Cichlid

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A few years ago, when I "attempted" to keep African Cichlids, there was one that stood out from the bunch. I don't know if it was because of his unique personality or the fact that he almost murdered all of his tank mates, but this cichlid got his very own home. I named him "Frank" because for some reason, it fitted him. I have had Frank for almost 4 years now.

Anyway, I'm always talking about my planted aquarium but I never mention Frank's aquarium and by golly it's his time to shine!

The decor really matches his personality.

11355387_1594565090768427_2142153836_n.jpg

Gena

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe it's time for Frank to settle down? Get a Mrs and all. =D

Is he agressive to you? He sounds very.. Outgoing. Lol

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's a lotta hardscaping

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Frank is mbuna and thats one of the more agressive mbunas he actually tiny for being the age u said he is he would be more happy in a 55 or bigger with friend like him.

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gena said:
Maybe it's time for Frank to settle down? Get a Mrs and all. =D

Is he agressive to you? He sounds very.. Outgoing. Lol

"Outgoing" is an interesting term. When I put something new in his tank, he gets super aggressive and does his shaking dance. lol

LeoDiaz said:
Frank is mbuna and thats one of the more agressive mbunas he actually tiny for being the age u said he is he would be more happy in a 55 or bigger with friend like him.
I will upgrade soon. I'm just limited on space at the moment.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
EmuhLeigh said:
"Outgoing" is an interesting term. When I put something new in his tank, he gets super aggressive and does his shaking dance. lol
Thats him showing dominace

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LeoDiaz said:
Thats him showing dominace
When I first saw him do it, I started freaking out. I did a little research and found that out. He loves to threaten his rocks. lol

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
EmuhLeigh said:
When I first saw him do it, I started freaking out. I did a little research and found that out. He loves to threaten his rocks. lol
Btw it might not be a he.

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LeoDiaz said:
Btw it might not be a he.
I THINK he is a he. He has five egg spots on the back of his fin. I could be wrong though.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Haha, Cranky Frank. Lol. Well, at least he can now be grumpy in his own space!

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BornThisWayBettas said:
Haha, Cranky Frank. Lol. Well, at least he can now be grumpy in his own space!
He's got his own bachelor pad! It's so weird how much I am attached to him.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah, it is weird how we get attached to them so much. But I guess we get more attached to the ones that have more personality.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
EmuhLeigh said:
I THINK he is a he. He has five egg spots on the back of his fin. I could be wrong though.
Egg spots mean nothing the only way is venting.

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LeoDiaz said:
Egg spots mean nothing the only way is venting.
Thank you! I will try to get a good look at him tonight and I will let you know what I see.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
EmuhLeigh said:
Thank you! I will try to get a good look at him tonight and I will let you know what I see.
Dont u think his life is boring in tank by himself? Once u figure out if he is a female or male u can get a bunch of friend like him or her. And get them a big tank with some rockscape. Mbuna might be agressive but there social fish.

Techno

Valued Member
Reaction score
Some African cichlids don't care if it's a male or female they will attack anything that they see I'm guessing with how aggressive he said it was trying to give it friends wouldn't be an amazing idea since it would probably just decide to kill them some cichlids just decide they don't want to share anything at all
These usually are rare occasions though

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Techno said:
Some African cichlids don't care if it's a male or female they will attack anything that they see I'm guessing with how aggressive he said it was trying to give it friends wouldn't be an amazing idea since it would probably just decide to kill them some cichlids just decide they don't want to share anything at all
Is an OB zebra is not even one of the most agressive mbunas is just in a small tank with out any tankmates. Throw a male aurutus and he will lose his dominace right away.

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Techno said:

He was with 5 other African cichlids in a 55 gallon aquarium and I bought them all together. I had their aquarium set up with mainly rockscape. Within a week he started bully the others and it would not stop. I rearranged the rockscape several times, my water perimeters where all in the ranges where they needed to be. The other fish where becoming extremely stressed so I had to do something. It would have been a bad situation if I didn't.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You did a good thing by separating them, imo.

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LeoDiaz said:
Is an OB zebra is not even one of the most agressive mbunas is just in a small tank with out any tankmates. Throw a male aurutus and he will lose his dominace right away.
He is in a 20 gallon right now. Would it be safe to add another one?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom