Frank...and Velvet

Snipersangel23

New Member
Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
3
Experience
5 years
Hey guys, I believe I know what is wrong with my betta, Frank. I shown a light on him and it seems as if he had velvet.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to best treat this infection?

I have java fern and moss. And 3 cardinal tetras in 78 degree water.
 

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,638
Reaction score
2,833
Location
East TN
Experience
More than 10 years
It likely isn't velvet. LEDs make my bettas shine with a green, blue, or some other colors in some spots. What size is the tank? Cardinals are schooling fish and need to be kept in groups of at least 6. Sometimes you can get by with 5.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
S

Snipersangel23

New Member
Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
3
Experience
5 years
I unfortunately don't have a light on this tank yet. It will be in today. The tank is not large and I know that these are not the proper conditions for the cardinals. I got them to see if I can manage to keep them until I upgrade to a bigger tank. It is a 5.5g. For the moment. Again, I know this is not ideal.

But frank isn't active and he definitly looks like he's got gold specs on him.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
S

Snipersangel23

New Member
Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
3
Experience
5 years
At the moment I cannot. I'm at work and didn't have time to take pics this morning cuz he was hiding and it's hard to get him out of his hiding spots. I will post pictures as soon as I get home.

Katie13 said:
It likely isn't velvet. LEDs make my bettas shine with a green, blue, or some other colors in some spots. What size is the tank? Cardinals are schooling fish and need to be kept in groups of at least 6. Sometimes you can get by with 5.
I wish I could see the awesome colors! But I had done some research on lighting for betta and most say that they do fine without a light...I forgot what a nonlighted tank can do to bacteria and algae and fungus, so I went ahead and ordered a light to help with that. Plus, surely my java fern will appreciate it even though it's a low light plant.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
S

Snipersangel23

New Member
Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
3
Experience
5 years
Katie13 said:
Can you post pictures of him?
Katie13 said:
Can you post pictures of him?
Here are a couple pics. Hard to see his overall body, but there's what seems like velvet around good gills. Also along his fins... like a fine gold dust... could it be just his coloring?
20170623_174328.jpg
20170623_174308.jpg
 

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,638
Reaction score
2,833
Location
East TN
Experience
More than 10 years
It unfortunately does look like velvet and he has clamped fins. I would do a 50-60 percent water change and cover the tank to make it pitch black.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
S

Snipersangel23

New Member
Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
3
Experience
5 years
Ah man... I'm so sad for him. Thank you for the confirmation and tip on how to handle this. I'm at the pet store right now to see about a medicine.
 

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,638
Reaction score
2,833
Location
East TN
Experience
More than 10 years
CindiL may be able to offer suggestions.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
S

Snipersangel23

New Member
Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
3
Experience
5 years
RyleighJ said:
I've had good luck using Seachem ParaGuard to treat velvet, though I've never used it with my bettas before.
I'm going to have to find that stuff. I picked up a tube of Seachem Metroplex, it seemed like it would do the trick. I have never used it, but I'm crossing my fingers. Thank you kindly for the recommendation.
 

RyleighJ

Active Member
Member
Messages
427
Reaction score
155
Location
Maryland, USA
Experience
Just started
Snipersangel23 said:
I'm going to have to find that stuff. I picked up a tube of Seachem Metroplex, it seemed like it would do the trick. I have never used it, but I'm crossing my fingers. Thank you kindly for the recommendation.
I've used MetroPlex before and I like it! I was actually going to use it for the velvet my angelfish recently had, but my LFS was out so I picked up the ParaGuard instead.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
S

Snipersangel23

New Member
Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
3
Experience
5 years
Ooh sweet! That is awesome and gives me hope! Yaaayyy! I'm so hoping this will help my buddies! And ill grab some ParaGuard as a preventative!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
S

Snipersangel23

New Member
Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
3
Experience
5 years
RyleighJ said:
I've used MetroPlex before and I like it! I was actually going to use it for the velvet my angelfish recently had, but my LFS was out so I picked up the ParaGuard instead.
Unfortunately, my handsome Frank did not make it. I believe that it was too little too late. Thank you again for your help.
 

RyleighJ

Active Member
Member
Messages
427
Reaction score
155
Location
Maryland, USA
Experience
Just started
Snipersangel23 said:
Unfortunately, my handsome Frank did not make it. I believe that it was too little too late. Thank you again for your help.
Aw, I'm sorry to hear :c It's always heartbreaking when pets die. At least take solace in knowing that you helped him to the best of your ability and knowledge.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
S

Snipersangel23

New Member
Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
3
Experience
5 years
RyleighJ said:
Aw, I'm sorry to hear :c It's always heartbreaking when pets die. At least take solace in knowing that you helped him to the best of your ability and knowledge.
Thank you. I am so upset about it, I wish I could've known and done more. He was so ok for 2 months. It's hard to see him go. I'm trying to convince myself that I did what I could. I hope he didn't suffer.
 

RyleighJ

Active Member
Member
Messages
427
Reaction score
155
Location
Maryland, USA
Experience
Just started
Snipersangel23 said:
Thank you. I am so upset about it, I wish I could've known and done more. He was so ok for 2 months. It's hard to see him go. I'm trying to convince myself that I did what I could. I hope he didn't suffer.
I felt the same way when my last betta passed. I bought him sick from Petco knowing he probably wasn't going to make it, but it was still really hard to see him go.

I feel like bettas are a bit different from other fish, since we keep them individually and they become more like pets than most fish.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
S

Snipersangel23

New Member
Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
3
Experience
5 years
RyleighJ said:
I felt the same way when my last betta passed. I bought him sick from Petco knowing he probably wasn't going to make it, but it was still really hard to see him go.

I feel like bettas are a bit different from other fish, since we keep them individually and they become more like pets than most fish.
Awe! That's brave of you to do...and a chance that fish deserved. I wish he would have pulled through for you.

But I believe that you are right. They do become closer to you. And the attachment is stronger. I've noticed it myself. I wish he survived, but I'm glad he's not suffering anymore.
 

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,638
Reaction score
2,833
Location
East TN
Experience
More than 10 years
I refuse to name my bettas for at least a month. When they have names, I find myself being much more attached. My original female CT I hoped to breed to one of my males, Grayson was stunning. I purchased her knowing that she had severe ammonia poisoning. She got better over the course of a week, but in the end, she wasn't strong enough to pull through. Because of her, I now carry dechlorinator with me in my car.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #21
OP
S

Snipersangel23

New Member
Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
3
Experience
5 years
Katie13 said:
I refuse to name my bettas for at least a month. When they have names, I find myself being much more attached. My original female CT I hoped to breed to one of my males, Grayson was stunning. I purchased her knowing that she had severe ammonia poisoning. She got better over the course of a week, but in the end, she wasn't strong enough to pull through. Because of her, I now carry dechlorinator with me in my car.
You know... that is a very smart thing to do. You save yourself some pain. Thay poor little girl... It's so sad that they die by something that is completely and easily dealt with.

I like the name Grayson. And I'd love to see pics of him!

Ah that's a good idea! You just go to the pet store and drop some of the conditioner into the cups?!
 

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,638
Reaction score
2,833
Location
East TN
Experience
More than 10 years
Snipersangel23 said:
You know... that is a very smart thing to do. You save yourself some pain. Thay poor little girl... It's so sad that they die by something that is completely and easily dealt with.

I like the name Grayson. And I'd love to see pics of him!

Ah that's a good idea! You just go to the pet store and drop some of the conditioner into the cups?!
Basically. It's too often that they aren't provided with conditioner. When I got her, they had replaced the water a few hours before, with no dechlorinator.... Grayson:
 

Attachments

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #23
OP
S

Snipersangel23

New Member
Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
3
Experience
5 years
Katie13 said:
Basically. It's too often that they aren't provided with conditioner. When I got her, they had replaced the water a few hours before, with no dechlorinator.... Grayson:
That is unbelievable... no wonder they come home with us entirely sick. It makes me want to save them all.

Awe what a cutie and stunning is right! I love his blues! What a gorgeous guy!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
66
Guests online
2,207
Total visitors
2,273

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom