Frame/structural support help

KieranKD
Hello! Basically, I've never built a single thing in my life before outside of a singular bird house. I'm wanting to get into building my own stuff, mostly because I know I can make things that look exactly the way I want at a fraction of the cost of similar manufactured products. I've drawn up my very basic idea of what I want, I have no concrete measurements except the stand is going to be 6' long and 2' wide with probably *at least* a 16" air gap between the tank and the next shelf.

It needs to be able to support at least 700-800 lbs just to be safe. The bottom rack will have the most weight, while the top enclosure will likely weigh less than 100 lbs. Basically I want to know if you think that these "plans" would be structurally sound enough to support that amount of weight? The frame itself will either be made out of 2x4 or 2x6 lumber, with a plywood board nailed on top.

snake plans above.jpg

This is the frame for the shelves that the tank/enclosure would be sitting on. The lumber would be covered on top by a plywood board.

snake plans side.jpg

This is the overall "plan", again the shelves that the enclosures sit on will be the frame above. The sides would just be lumber supporting the shelf above it by all 4 corners.

Sanderguy777
KieranKD said:
Hello! Basically, I've never built a single thing in my life before outside of a singular bird house. I'm wanting to get into building my own stuff, mostly because I know I can make things that look exactly the way I want at a fraction of the cost of similar manufactured products. I've drawn up my very basic idea of what I want, I have no concrete measurements except the stand is going to be 6' long and 2' wide with probably *at least* a 16" air gap between the tank and the next shelf.

It needs to be able to support at least 700-800 lbs just to be safe. The bottom rack will have the most weight, while the top enclosure will likely weigh less than 100 lbs. Basically I want to know if you think that these "plans" would be structurally sound enough to support that amount of weight? The frame itself will either be made out of 2x4 or 2x6 lumber, with a plywood board nailed on top.

snake plans above.jpg

This is the frame for the shelves that the tank/enclosure would be sitting on. The lumber would be covered on top by a plywood board.

snake plans side.jpg

This is the overall "plan", again the shelves that the enclosures sit on will be the frame above. The sides would just be lumber supporting the shelf above it by all 4 corners.
Looks good!
As an avid DIYer, I will offer suggestions
1. you don't need 2x4s, 2x3s are fine (my 60g is sitting on a 2x3 stand as I write this). I'd use 2x3s for the bottom frame and uprights, but 2x6s for the top shelf, just to support whatever you decide to put up there (you KNOW that snake enclosure is going to turn into a 125g tank some day... lol)

2. Make sure to measure and take each board dimension into account.

3. Know that 2x4s are really 1.5x3.5, 2x3s are 1.5x2.5 etc. Measure the boards at a hardware store, then design the stan accordingly.

What tools do you have? While it is POSSIBLE to build this with a handsaw, hammer, and some nails, sane people would want a circular saw with straight edge or table saw before attacking this project. (There are some INSANE people on YouTube that do crazy complex projects with hand tools)
Not trying to discourage you at all, I just want you to understand the implications of the project, and not get in too deep. (Also, make SURE all the legs are the same length, and the part any tank is sitting on is FLAT and level. Bring in into the house, and place it in its home, THEN level and see if it is flat. No amount of savings can offset the loss and expense of a cracked tank)

Latest threads

Top Bottom