Help Frail Cuttings Can't Hold Their Own Weight

aquasabi

Reaction score
I started a new tank about two weeks ago (less). Changed soil, bought some new plants (pogostemon erectus, Myriophyllum guano, staurogyne repens) and I also propagated some rotala-rotundifolia clippings from my old tank.

I know my rotala was really weak and malnourished when I replanted the stems in this new tank. It seems the bottom part of the plant still is really frail. Is it a bad idea to cut off and replant the tops? Should I wait until the stems get healthy?

The problem is that the top parts seem to be in good shape, and they start to get too heavy for the stems.

I use CO2 and I add both macro and micro-nutrition. Perhaps the stems will repair themselves and get stronger when the roots grow stronger?

Any ideas of how I should go about this?
IMG_20190311_094019.jpg

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you want to start with healthy growth, then I'd say give it the snip. You could retain the old growth, and let new shoots grow out and then snip that off and repeat to get lush growth.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cut away! Unhealthy old growth won't turn healthy for the most part. It looks like you have an aquasoil, which holds stem cuttings very well. When you cut, snip below a pair of old leaves, and when replanting push them all the way under the soil, they can help anchor the rootless tops.

New Threads