Fragging Zoas?

Reeferxbetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was cleaning off a small coral I have today (was covered in algae) and I somehow managed to pop one of the polyps off of the small piece of live rock that they are on, the coral and part of it that popped off is sitting in a small container with water waiting to be moved back to the tank, and the polyp that was popped off is open and looks pretty happy, so I'm wondering, can I glue this polyp on to a frag plug and use it in my tank? I have no experience with fragging my own corals and I'm super cautious about zoas hearing all the things about toxins (even though I know I don't really need to be). The polyp just popped right off of the rock, doesn't appear to be cut or damaged at all and it didn't appear to release anything when it popped off.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like to dip them in iodine first to give them a boost, and then just go ahead and glue the poly onto a plug or rock. If it just popped off i wouldn't worry about toxins, however polytoxin is a very serious poison if you frag and should be done carefully.

Reeferxbetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DutchAquarium said:
I like to dip them in iodine first to give them a boost, and then just go ahead and glue the poly onto a plug or rock. If it just popped off i wouldn't worry about toxins, however polytoxin is a very serious poison if you frag and should be done carefully.
Thanks for the response, I will probably never frag them in the future, as it just makes me too nervous, this happened on mistake as I was cleaning some algae off the coral… weird that one just popped off like that, I've never had that happen while cleaning before.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom