Fragging Long Tentacled Plate Coral

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd put this in the fragging section but nobody seems to go there.

I have a LT Plate that seems to be having problems. Some bare areas. What I want to do is frag the healthy parts so that it doesn't spread. Might not solve the problem, but either he dies or I try this, and he might still die but at least I did somethings.

So...I've researched how to do this, got the tools, but am stuck on something. Should I place the healthy frags on the sandbed where a LTP should go or should I glue him to a frag plug and put him in the rack?

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glue him to a plate or plug and position the coral in same spot make sure that dead areas are clipped off. Or super glue him to a rock. Did you have coral in sand bed?

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cut dead parts out so algae doesn't take it's toll. Soon as recovery comes if willing then frag coral. Something just tells me something is not right did you have this coral for awhile or recently purchused?

OP
zeeter

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
had it for a couple of months. Much of it is just fune. There's like an hourglass part that is barren. I took it out of the sand it it appears to be doing better up on a rock. all of my other corals are doing fine, including other plate-type corals.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's not die off it's growing!! Take it off sand and put it up toward the top .Should be about mid level of tank but don't move it sudden move it very slowly toward mid section In increments at about 1/2 inch per every 4-5 days maybe longer depending on how coral reacts.

OP
zeeter

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, I followed your first advice before I saw your second advice. As soon as I started cutting with my rotary around the "dead" area it shattered into pieces. Now I have four pieces of "live" ltp. Wonder how long it will stay that way.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well then make 4 frags of it. It will be fine and use a dremal with a masonary disc. Thats the best thing to use> What do you mean a rotary saw?

OP
zeeter

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not a rotary saw, a rotary tool. It's craftsman's version of dremel. Same thing. I'm using a diamond wheel on it.

Last edited:

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A diamond wheel is to big use the smallest masonry blade to cut with. The thinnest blade available is the dremal blade you need to cut coral with the thinnest blade possible.Any hoo how did it go with your experiance/? Did you frag the pieces that broke?

OP
zeeter

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, they're all still alive as far as I can tell. This diamond wheel is actually a dremal brand. There's different sizes of them. Smaller diameter and thin or thicker. I hear what you're saying but it's a good blade for this.

I put all four pieces up on the rack just so they wouldn't come into contact with anything in the sand that might harm them. They seem to be doing well, but it's only been two days. They're puffing up like they should.

Next project is my tongue coral.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So the diamond blade is a lot thicker than mason? I use the thinnest mason blade and gives a very clean cut the key is cut very very slow Let the balde do the cutting and with no pressure. I would imagine the same holds true for diamond. I work with tile granite etc. those are hard substances that require diamond so you may want to get a blade and try it see if it makes a difference or not. let me know what happens so I will now what works better.

OP
zeeter

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I only planned on scoring the bottom of the coral with the wheel. Then the plan was to snip them apart. Using the wheel creates too much heat to go all the way through and could cause more harm than good. It's a moot point, though, as like I said the whole thing broke to pieces as soon as it started cutting. Maybe you're right and it was the blade, however I went to several sites to find out what parts to get and they all said diamond wheel.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well maybe I should buy one and try it some day but for me I have all frags that a friend sold me and soon I will be fragging alot!!! Lol You are right about only scoring to core of coral on some . Take for instance on a brain you have to cut all the way thru and die off accurs around edges and some times will fully die or not. It's the chance we have to make!! I hope your frags do well!! Maybe I will buy one! Lol

OP
zeeter

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd be happy to send you one. I'd love to get into the coral frag business at home. Need to get one of those square tanks used just for this sort of thing, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom