29 Gallon Tank FOWLR Water Changes

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How often do most saltwater tanks need water changes?

My 29g FOWLR has a maroon clownfish and a six-line wrasse. As of now, my nitrates don't reach 20 for 4 weeks with the current stock.

I do weekly full parameter testing and daily top-offs, but I only perform water changes when my nitrates reach 20. I may be adding another fish today, depending on what I find at my LFS.

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I change 10% of my water weekly because there are some things that become depleted in your water over time that we cant test for (or so I've read) they say your water will become "stale" I have a 42 gallon trash can with a pond pump in it that I keep filled with pre mixed saltwater for water changes it lasts me for three weeks or a month.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How often do most saltwater tanks need water changes?

My 29g FOWLR has a maroon clownfish and a six-line wrasse. As of now, my nitrates don't reach 20 for 4 weeks with the current stock.

I do weekly full parameter testing and daily top-offs, but I only perform water changes when my nitrates reach 20. I may be adding another fish today, depending on what I find at my LFS.
20 nitrate is just a tad on the high side for SW IMO. The fish and corals you have now (palythoas, mushroom, frogspawn) really don't mind. But, if you decide to keep anything a little more challenging someday, it could make a difference. If you could keep nitrate under 10, that would be preferable... but probably isn't necessary.

I'd suggest weekly water changes since you aren't running a skimmer. If you pick up a new fish, you may have to increase the amount of water changed, but I wouldn't change more than 30% at a time. JMO.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's a good point! I'm glad you both brought that up. Weekly is probably for the best. I always worry about water changes in my saltwater since I'm so new to this.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a good point! I'm glad you both brought that up. Weekly is probably for the best. I always worry about water changes in my saltwater since I'm so new to this.
Don't worry. The fish and corals you have now are pretty bulletproof as far as SW animals go. ;D As long as the new water is temp matched pretty well and the SG is about the same as your tank water, it's not going to be a big deal (I promise)!

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday...
As soon as you take that plastic hood off your tank, you're going to evap a lot more water than you did when it was covered. Watch your SG, you're probably going to have to top off a lot more than before. HTH!

How are the mushie and frogspawn doing today?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Don't worry. The fish and corals you have now are pretty bulletproof as far as SW animals go. ;D As long as the new water is temp matched pretty well and the SG is about the same as your tank water, it's not going to be a big deal (I promise)!

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday...
As soon as you take that plastic hood off your tank, you're going to evap a lot more water than you did when it was covered. Watch your SG, you're probably going to have to top off a lot more than before. HTH!

How are the mushie and frogspawn doing today?
That's comforting! I was trying not to panic when you said 20 nitrates was a little high.

The shroom is happy, but I just woke up the frogspawn. I think right now he's thinking "the light, it burns" He was doing fabulous last night when I turned off the lights.

Thanks for the heads up about the evap. I'm glad you thought of that.

I'm hoping to clean out the camera today and get some pics.

EDIT: Yay, my wrasse is still in there;D

Last edited:

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah!!!!!!! BB.......your doin great!!!!!!!!!!!....I keep tellin ya.......YOU'RE GONNA love salt!!!!!!!!!!(and u have a great helper!!!!!!!!!-----Harpua)

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah!!!!!!! BB.......your doin great!!!!!!!!!!!....I keep tellin ya.......YOU'RE GONNA love salt!!!!!!!!!!(and u have a great helper!!!!!!!!!-----Harpua)
Thanks, Lori You know how much this scares me, but I'm very glad things are working.

I have several great helpers-you've backed me on this and given me great advice as well!

Btw-I haven't forgotten about you! With all the chaos around here, I haven't had a chance to get to that salty store, but when I do, I'll see if I can find you that coral you want

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lol....I want dead and ALIVE....lol........dead or resin for the SH tank.....its ridiculous around here even being at the beach........bb...u just keep gettin-r-done!!!!!!!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom