Four Bettas, Two Split Tanks...something Is Wrong With All Four... Help

1. galacticparadigm

galacticparadigm Initiate Member

I have four bettas. I have two separate tanks, both split. Octavius and Carl II are in a split tank together. Papi and Theodore are in a split tank together. Each tank has a filter and a heater. I plan on getting a sponge filter. I also bought a 30 gallon tank that I'm working on splitting for all four. Wish me luck on that part.

I first noticed Octavius started fading. He was a gorgeous blue/green. He almost looks black now. After a week or so, his fins started looking a little rough, but I assumed it was the poor water conditions he was in over winter break. I had a friend look after all four of them for a couple weeks and when I got back they all looked miserable. No water changes and the filters were off. She sat them under the heater in the house instead of using their tank heater. I thought he just needed time to recover. Now he has these lightly reflective splotches on him that you can see when he gets in the lighting. He has also been hanging out at the bottom of the tank amd his butt sinks when he's eating or going up for air. Really really worried about him the most. 20180517_020126.jpg
    Carl II is the fish I got when Carl passed away. (I miss you Carl). Carl was a pretty white betta that had swim bladder disorder, but it was more of a birth defect. I tried the peas, the fasting, the heater, absolutely everything and he passed away. Anyway, Carl II is a deep deep blue and it's gorgeous. I noticed this morning that he has a reflective splotch as well. Both fishies with splotches have them around the head. 20180517_020310.jpg 20180517_020104.jpg

Theodore is blue and red and looks like he has a mane. I believe he's a veiltail?? I could be wrong? Anyway, even though him and his tankmate, Papi, are separated by a plastic piece with tiny tiny holes so the filter gets both sides, they're getting extremely aggressive. I can hear them hitting things at night. They hit the splitter or the walls and sometimes the marbles. 20180517_022019.jpg 20180517_021747.jpg

Papi, his tank mate, is blue and red as well but has a more flarey, webbed tail. As mentioned above...they're becoming aggressive. I've monitored the temperature and I never let it go below 72 on bad days but it's almost always around 78 if not one or two degrees higher. I'm very very concerned right now...as I'm writing this, one of Theodore's little mane fins got through one of the holes (this rarely rarely happens). I heard one of the fish hit against something and when I looked into the tank, Papi had somehow taken a small piece of the fin. It was a thin piece from one of his strands but I'm very very anxious now. Theodore is now flaring throughout his side of the tank and Papi seems grumpy in the corner next to his little tree. 20180517_021717.jpg
    I could just be paranoid, but all four have slightly bulging eyes. I can't decide on if it's enough to consider popeye, or if I've just never looked this closely at them before.
    Somebody help! There's obviously something going on with my babies but I can't help them if I don't know what wrong! I'll add pictures...I'm really hoping someone can help me I'm desperate.

2. OP
    OP
    galacticparadigm

20180517_022839.jpg 20180517_022839.jpg
    I just don't understand. Theodore has never been this aggressive before. He's making bubbles and attacking the filter at this point. I'm really worried.

Attached Files:

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Well, I'm not the best at fish disease, so hopefully this will bump the post for someone else. My eyes aren't the best, I have a bit of colorblindness, and your bettas and the backgrounds just happen to be colors I can't differentiate as well, so I'll try to go on the description. The reflective bits sound like velvet, and from the pic it looks like there's a white patch on his head, is it normal? If not, you may want to look at HITH.
    As for being aggressive, try putting some plants (real or fake) on both sides of the divider so they can't see each other as well. Some people double up the dividers and put plants in between a small space they leave between the two.
    I do see the bulging eyes, honestly I'm not 100% on what you do for that so I would start by doing 25% water changes daily to keep the conditions pristine. Also, you said the filters were off for a month, so you likely lost your cycle.
    What size tank are these?
    Also, please look at the nitrogen cycle, it will help so much in the long run of fish keeping. I'm so sorry your fish are sick, hopefully more people will be along soon to help.

4. OP
    OP
    galacticparadigm

Update!: so I did research according to what you had said might be the issue. I've decided that I'm going to do a 25% water change, and then add the erythromycin and metronadizole to both tanks just to be safe. I also bought a small amazon sword plant to separate the fishies even further. When I can afford it I'll get another one for the less aggressive bettas. Theodore is still flaring up quite a lot and I'm scared he'll stress himself out to the point of no return. I'll keep updating!

5. Rtessy

Real quick I have a few more questions: is it safe to add both medications at the same time? Often it's not recommended to add both as it can stress the fish too much, but certain ones can be added together. Also, please be sure to remove carbon from your filter. What type of filter do you have? I can help you with removing the carbon. This has to be removed, as it will make medicating the tank useless as the carbon will absorb it before it can help. Bettas love Amazon swords from my experience, that's a good choice. Also, you can go and buy some fake plant from Petco/PetSmart for a cheap price, generally $3-5 dollars that could work. Not to push you to spend money, lol everyone on here knows how expensive it can get. You'll want to get a silk plants, they won't tear your betta's fins.
    Also, did you happen to check out the nitrogen cycle? And what sized tanks do you have?

6. OP
    OP
    galacticparadigm

I haven't been able to find any information on that, and I had completely not even thought about that beforehand...so when I changed the water I did both. But until I can find information on it I'm doing them separately now. I have my filter on but removed the cartridge thingy. Does that count?? I've done some research on the nitrogen cycle and I think I have the basics down.

I feel awful about it, because I know the absolute MINIMUM for a solo betta is 2.5... I only have 2 tanks split in half and they're both 2.5g tanks... I bought a 29g tank and planned on splitting it in four for my babies, but my parents picked me up from college on Friday last week and refused to let me bring it home with me...so it's in storage until August 21. I've already cried about it and I feel like a terrible parent to my water babies because I know they need more spaces to be happy. My mom keeps talking about how we had tons of bettas when we were growing up and that she took care of them and that they were always happy with their fish bowl and marbles. She keeps shaking her head at me every time I do something for my bettas, because "they aren't that high maintenance Brittany, your brother had a betta that lived for two years and he was in a little 1 gallon tank. All he needed was food. They never needed a heater, or medicine, or all this PH ammonia stuff. You're making this too complicated". I'm still trying to convince her otherwise but until then I'll be waiting until August to upgrade them...

7. OP
    OP
    galacticparadigm

what about soaking their food in the medication? I heard it's a little more effective and you can control a little more of what goes to which fish...would that be a decent idea?

8. Rtessy

Hey, I totally understand where you're coming from and I wouldn't worry about the tank size too much right now. I mean, if you want to hear a bad tank size story, I kept a common goldfish, a fish that's requires 180gallon and can get 18 inches in a tiny bowl. For two entire years. Yeah, that's uh, pretty bad, so by comparison, you totally have me beat.
    With the nitrogen cycle, unfortunately the cartridge things house most of the cycle. Don't get too concerned though, and don't blame yourself because it does say on the packaging to replace once a month, but it's not necessary. For the future, if you need to medicate you can cut slits in it and remove the carbon; it's the carbon that expires after about a month.
    I agree with what you did about dosing the medications seapartely, and I would recommend using different tools for each tank, eg having two gravel siphons whatever you use to change the water out of the tank just to avoid some cross contamination.
    I'm really sorry, but I'm just not overly familiar with those medications, but I think soaking the food is primarily done if you're targeting a specific fish, and only with certain medications. Since you'll want to treat the whole tank, I'd just add it to the water.
    I'm sorry your parents don't understand, it's unfortunately very common, and definitely something I've dealt with. I don't know your situation, but it may not be worth arguing. My parents think I spend a ridiculous amount of money on my fish, and to be honest, they're probably right :p
    Just take it as it comes, they may be set in their ways and just don't understand. I'll be here to try and answer any questions/ followups, and I just wish you the best of luck in this situation.