Found these today -- what should I do?

mrnegi

Screenshot_20210922-212432.jpg

I was told these are probably pest snails -- I already got rid of these two but am wondering what to do now?? Should I get rid of these plants? They were the first ones I got for this tank, I've only had it a few days.

Was also told these 2 may have already laid eggs -- do I have to start all over?? This is my first tank. At least I learned to quarantine plants.

Roman96

Is there a reason you don't want snails?
If you just don't want them you can use copper but if its because you think they will eat plants then don't worry they dont. Just don't overfeed and their population will level out.

mrnegi

Is there a reason you don't want snails?
If you just don't want them you can use copper but if its because you think they will eat plants then don't worry they dont. Just don't overfeeding and their population will level out.
Oh I definitely don't mind; I just read that bladder snails can overrun a tank easily and see a lot of people getting upset about finding them. There's only a Mystery Snail in the tank at the moment so idk how I would get rid of them if they got out of hand.

I'm planning to add a Betta soon so if they can be in there with it I won't worry about them (although I already did scrap the plants lol)

SterSter

Screenshot_20210922-212432.jpg

I was told these are probably pest snails -- I already got rid of these two but am wondering what to do now?? Should I get rid of these plants? They were the first ones I got for this tank, I've only had it a few days.

Was also told these 2 may have already laid eggs -- do I have to start all over?? This is my first tank. At least I learned to quarantine plants.
You don't need to start over. Pest snails are pretty much inevitable in a planted aquarium no matter what you do. Instead of trying to eradicate them completely you should aim to control their numbers by not overfeeding and doing regular aquarium maintenance.

Roman96

Oh I definitely don't mind; I just read that bladder snails can overrun a tank easily and see a lot of people getting upset about finding them. There's only a Mystery Snail in the tank at the moment so idk how I would get rid of them if they got out of hand.

I'm planning to add a Betta soon so if they can be in there with it I won't worry about them (although I already did scrap the plants lol)
Just don't overfeed and they shouldn't get out of control. In my experience, they will have a population explosion and then level out in a month or so. Overfeeding will lead to bigger numbers.

mrnegi

You don't need to start over. Pest snails are pretty much inevitable in a planted aquarium no matter what you do. Instead of trying to eradicate them completely you should aim to control their numbers by not overfeeding and doing regular aquarium maintenance.
What a relief! Thanks for clearing things up. I really thought I was in trouble in my first week haha!

Definitely don't mind having them, as long as there's a way to control the population. I like snails generally and my first thought was that they are very cute.

Looks like I will go shopping for some new plants tomorrow.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Feohw
29 Gallon Tank What are these?
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Ellebrius
Replies