Found Something Horrid In My Aquarium Question 

Ashtifer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello

Ive recently had a pest snail outbreak so i was cleaning my tank out fully and i lifted my bogwood and this horrible creature tan out from under it and into my tunnel. Can anyone tell me what it is and if its harmful to my other fish?

320309e5cfe11ee39a1186fb54f5ef60.jpg
26eadac3c1d0f4e7dd65c51e49b0daac.jpg

TalulahMae

Reaction score
Get it out! It looks like a dragonfly nymph and I've heard they can eat your fish.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah its either a dragonfly or damselfly nymph and it can possibly eat your fish.

Its a really cool creature though so dont kill it. Instead either put it alone in its own tank and feed it live insects or release it in a creek outside. Dragonflies and damselflies are good pest control as they eat mosquitoes nd their larvae.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get it out .

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had one of those once too....I did try and get rid of the blighter but my Black Neons beat me too it

(My Black Neons also have a taste for snails too...one headbutts the snail and the rest scoff it....anyone would think I didn't feed them the way they munch snails and anything else untoward in the aquarium....even caught one noshing on a hydra a month or so ago before I could get it out of the water)

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
[an incorrect id]

Edit... No it’s not, it’s a damselfly.

Ashtifer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone ive got it out, would it most likely have come in on a plant or maybe the piece of bogwood i have in there? It must have been there a while it was about an inch long

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most likely a plant hitchiker....possibly bogwood if you got it from a local stream or wetland area where the adult insects are commonplace

FishLeGeNd

Valued Member
Reaction score
That can eat your fish!

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ashtifer said:
Hello

Ive recently had a pest snail outbreak so i was cleaning my tank out fully and i lifted my bogwood and this horrible creature tan out from under it and into my tunnel. Can anyone tell me what it is and if its harmful to my other fish?

320309e5cfe11ee39a1186fb54f5ef60.jpg
26eadac3c1d0f4e7dd65c51e49b0daac.jpg
That is a dragonfly nymph. And they are deadly to fish. Get it out and kill it asap. They are predators of small aquatic animals!

Ashtifer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all the replies and advice guys i took it out straight away and havent seen any signs of any more hopefully an isolated incident thanks for the fast advice guys

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom