found sand to use!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Jaysee, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

So i found pool filter sand to use for the 90. this brand is different than what i already have, and it was MUCH cleaner - only took a few minutes to wash clean. i put it in without taking the water or fish out - just turned off the filters.

the sand saga is over!

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds great! Don't forgwt the pics. :)

3. Alcmiller

Alcmiller Valued Member Member

Jaysee, I rather enjoyed listening to your drama with sand... it's like watching the season finale of a show that isn't airing next year....

maybe you'll have more problems =)

4. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Coming right up!

Oops....she wants to fix it up before I post pics

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  5. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Lol good to hear Jaysee.

6. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

When I asked if they had pool filter sand, I then asked to see it (wanted to see the color). He asked why, to which I said I was looking for a particular color. He again asked why, so I said I'm using it in a fish tank instead of gravel. He said he did not recommend it, to which I said "oh, well then that's not what I'll be using it for" :)

7. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Okay, I put in 75 lbs of PFS this afternoon, put all the decor in place and transferred the 4 pictus cats tonight.

I put the sand in without removing the water or the fish. I turned off the filters. Then I filled a pitcher with washed sand and put the whole pitcher in and poured it out just over the bottom. Then I turned the filters back on. It was pretty easy :)

BTW, anyone attempting to add sand (or gravel) to a filled tank - YOU MUST REMOVE WATER as you add the substrate, one for one.

Attached Files:

• found sand to use!
      90.jpg
      File size:
      249.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

OH COOL! I love the Easter Island heads! The sand looks good too ;)
    Carol

9. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Thanks, my Girlfriend picked the theme. We watched a documentary on it to get inspiration :)

So it's been almost 5 hours and the pictus cats have not ventured to the opposite side of the tank yet. They've branched out from the corner to occupy half the tank. One just made it to the other end as I was typing the last sentance. I'm surprised they're this shy - the only other fish are 2 gf.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful Jaysee! :;perfect

Ken

11. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

looks great!!!! glad you found the sand :)

12. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Thanks guys.

the heads are good decor for the goldfish, since we can easily rearainge them in order to stimulate them

13. haedra

haedra Well Known Member Member

Interesting isn't it? ;) You never know what reaction you'll get. When I got mine, the guy had no idea that it could be used in fish tanks, and was very interested in learning all about it. So of course I got on my portable soap box and taught him!

14. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

The tank looks fabulous, Jaysee! Those Easter Island heads are awesome! What is the stocking in this particular tank?

15. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

current stock is 2 gf and 4 pictus. the tank will also house a BGK and boesmani rainbows. its a grow out tank - when the time comes ill be upgrading to a 6 (or 8 :) ) foot tank.

Oh, and my GF wants hatchets

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  16. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

That sounds absolutely awesome! Can't wait to see it fully stocked.

17. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

I think the hatchets would get eaten by the BGK

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice