found my missing blues

Discussion in 'Snails' started by monkeypie102, Dec 30, 2012.

1. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

My 2 confermed female blue mysteries went missing 2 days ago... last night I found one under my laundry basket picked her up, no bad smell and her trap was shut tight.. I tossed her in my tank hoping she was fine, hour last she was chugging along... then today I look done next to my door and see the other one pick it up, no smell but the front of her shell is busted... not to bad though so i am not worried... set her in the tank now she is chugging around... so now i know to keep the cloths baskets near the tank... and am amazed they were still alive after 2+ days of no water... however I am confused as to why after 3 months of having them they decide to leave the tank... wat parms are all in check and the Ph is still 7.4-7.6(I can never tell the difference)...

2. soarl

soarl Valued Member Member

Wow that is strange. I've spent lot's of time looking for one or more of mine too. So far they have always been in the tank though! There isn't much of a gap anywhere for them to escape but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen! Glad you found them though!

3. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

All my tanks are open tops so i would have thought if they escaped it would have been done by now... I am liking of taking my screen top that goes to there tank and screening them in... scared the crab cakes out of me...

4. soarl

soarl Valued Member Member

Ahh yeah...I bet!

I was loosing way too much water to keep it open top. Plus my bubbles make a lot of splash at the top and would soak my light!

5. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

So glad to hear you found them and hope you spanked their butts ;)

They may have been looking for somewhere to lay a clutch that is usually why mysteries go AWOL only one of my tanks is open top and when I had bing and bong in there they thankfully never escaped now they are in a fluval edge but I still found bing in the filter once naughty snail I only found them because it was rattling and that was because they were being banged about.

Must have been like being in a spin dryer I think they learned their lesson I've not found them in there again

6. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

I lose about 2" of water a week but when I do water changes it doesn't matter to much... now that winter is here its losing less water... I may switch it up and buy some glass tops... wait I can't nvm scratch thank... the mangrove I got I have to keep open tops...

I hear rattling ever so offer its a large MTS that found its way in... normally clues me into cleaning the filters...

7. Magoo

Lol :) water evaporates from Mordin's tank rather quickly I do top ups every other day but I figure it's because of the 64 led lights I have running for the plants he is in a customised fluval chi. I do like the open topped look and I am very careful not to use any sprays or anything like that in the same room as his tank just in case :)

8. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Same here with my tanks I love the look but nothing worse than a candle is ever sprayed/added to my little room ;)

9. Magoo

Mordin's tank is in the living room so nothing aerosol is allowed unless I have cyran wrapped his tank lol I am a little overprotective of my little monkey fish :)

10. S

Shazray New Member Member

I am not an expert of these snails but you may want to let your water level go down a bit so there is an inch or two of glass at the top for them to lay their eggs...

11. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Mystery snails will leave the tank when the right conditions do not exist when it is time to lay the clutch. Lower the water level, even just 1/2 an inch to give them an area to deposit the eggs.

Sounds like you will soon see some tiny snails crawling about!

12. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, as already stated, lower the water level and if need be, put some Saran wrap over the top. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    Glad you were able to find them :)

13. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Actually they laid eggs about 2-3 weeks ago :) so them escaping is strange... though it was just after a water change if i remember right... they laid 3 clutches! 1 has already hatch most of its eggs...

14. Magoo

Maybe they just fancied a wonderful snail adventure lol

15. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Well cool for them... scary for me... I would have been upset had I not found them...

16. Magoo

I am glad that you spotted them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice