Found Killifish N Sump...

Rojer Ramjet
So, about 0300 this morning, I got up for a bit; walked out into the garage, looked into my SALTWATER REEF sump, and saw one of my Killifish.

A freshwater killifish in my saltwater sump.

...Which is 8 feet away from my killI aquarium, 4 feet below, and INSIDE A CABINET.

Put it right back into the freswater Cascade, inside a net breeder... He's more colorful than the others of his species, interestingly, and interestingly, he's the one I've been looking for for almost 6 WEEKS!!

I'm almost tempted to try acclimating him back to saltwater and trying a couple more; I've got mollies, guppies and endlers in my sumps - babies are free coral food...

75g Discus Tank
How?

I think your killifish is magical.

goldface
Cool story!

Rojer Ramjet
How?

I think your killifish is magical.
I'm assuming that I netted him when I pulled my guppies and endlers out 6 weeks ago and didn't notice - I'm simply amazed that he, it, didn't die in the saltwater.

Anyone else ever have killies in salt? GardnerI don't like it (one jumped from a freshwater to a saltwater aquarium a couple of years ago, hence the separation and locations).

No April fool's joke here. Should have photographed it - want wearing my glasses and wasn't thinking well - flow alarm went off on my auto top off unit).

goldface
I believe you. There are tilapia living in the Salton Sea. Even saltwater fish can’t survive the salinity there.

Rojer Ramjet
I believe you. There are tilapia living in the Salton Sea. Even saltwater fish can’t survive the salinity there.
Fawking cichlids!

I refuse to eat those buggers; all bad cholesterol, no good.

Plus, they're normally fed fish poop when they're farmed (bottom tier of three tiers).

goldface
Fawking cichlids!

I refuse to eat those buggers; all bad cholesterol, no good.

Plus, they're normally fed fish poop when they're farmed (bottom tier of three tiers).
I agree with you there and am aware of how they’re farmed. A suspect a surprising number of fish will eat and grow on poop, given no alternatives.

I usually eat what I catch.

And are you saying they’re bad because of the farming practices or bad in general? Kind of curious, since the latter part sounds like an additional reason to avoid and not the cause.

Rojer Ramjet
They're bad in general because of their body chemistry - all bad cholesterol, no good. They're just made worse - truly nutritionally deficient - with their lack of a normal diet.

Turns out that fish poop ain't very nutritious.

goldface
Interesting. I never knew they were just bad eating. Sounds like a true trash fish.

I think you discovered something, especially since it survived for as long as it did. I honestly would have kept it in there. What species is it exactly?

ktorg
So, about 0300 this morning, I got up for a bit; walked out into the garage, looked into my SALTWATER REEF sump, and saw one of my Killifish.

A freshwater killifish in my saltwater sump.

...Which is 8 feet away from my killI aquarium, 4 feet below, and INSIDE A CABINET.

Put it right back into the freswater Cascade, inside a net breeder... He's more colorful than the others of his species, interestingly, and interestingly, he's the one I've been looking for for almost 6 WEEKS!!

I'm almost tempted to try acclimating him back to saltwater and trying a couple more; I've got , guppies and endlers in my sumps - babies are free coral food...
That's neat! What kind of killifish was it? Some species actually come from brackish environments.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views
zinnaerris
Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views