Found in shrimp tank help what is it??

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
Does it do so more when there's more light and or movement? It sounds like mosquito larvae, but they're generally darker. They hang out at top of water and mostly catatonic until disturbed.

OP
AQUARIUS1618

AQUARIUS1618

Reaction score
Does it do so more when there's more light and or movement? It sounds like mosquito larvae, but they're generally darker. They hang out at top of water and mostly catatonic until disturbed.
It moves more when touched but its fast and jerks violently around I dont feed much in the tank and the shrimp are okay but I'm worried about this worm thing

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it is mosquito larvae or dragonfly nymph there may be more so check your tank carefully as they will kill your shrimp
But still need a better photo of it in water to confirm, or dose it look like any of these the first is mosquito larvae 2nd is dragonfly nymph both deadly to shrimp

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
AQUARIUS1618

AQUARIUS1618

Reaction score
If it is mosquito larvae or dragonfly nymph there may be more so check your tank carefully as they will kill your shrimp
But still need a better photo of it in water to confirm, or dose it look like any of these the first is mosquito larvae 2nd is dragonfly nymph both deadly to shrimp
I think it might be mosquito larvae the lay they jump around. I did a water change and haven't seen anything since. If they are some type of larvae how would I get them out ??

Could it be midge fly ?? They look like the worms I seen in a video .. will they kill my shrimp and baby shrimp???

I have 5 red cherry shrimp 3 are berries and I have 5+ baby orange cherry shrimp in aswell. Will these things kill them

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I tend to agree on mosquito larvae and the only was to get rid of them is by hand net them or siphon off, they do eat shrimp but keep a good eye out and losses will be minimal to none, he may be the only one in there it's only on rare occasions you get infested. Post a pic of your tank

OP
AQUARIUS1618

AQUARIUS1618

Reaction score

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It wont take long you'll be over run with shrimp and you'll always loose some for one reason or other but if you do always post before doing anything drastic and take photos of them in the tank before removing

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom