Found in a Missouri river

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Lady Monster, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Specifically elk river

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Cottus carolinae - the banded sculpin

3. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

You're awesome :) i googled for a long time and didnt get results. I thought it looked like a really neat fish. I was trying to net some minnows with my daughter and we saw this fish. Thanks for identifying it for us. He was happy to get back to the current.

4. SuzanaBanana

SuzanaBanana Valued Member Member

Can this fish at all be kept as a pet?

5. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I wanted to take it home lol. My neighbor caught a baby bass a few years ago and they raised him until he was too big for a 55 gallon.

But i let him go after i took pics, i pet him a little, was very weird feeling. Sort of like a frog. He wasn't easy to catch! Very quick. I tried to feed it minnows but they eat insects and larvae.

6. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I've heard they can be in aquariums. They are almost completely camouflaged except for their banded tails. So if you ever hunt for one, food luck!! We found it in shallow water in a group of minnows, it was not easy to net because it was quick and once it moved you had to find it all over again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice