Found Him Labeled As A Crowntail, But He Definitely Isn't A Crowntail.

Paloma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What is this guy? I am suspecting Delta, but not entirely sure. I got him at a local family owned pet store (specializing in pet accessories, not fish) for 6.99 as a crowntail.

Just want confirmation.

0bbe57a7d53adb7fbfcfe672a0cf03df.jpg

rohanr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Paloma said:
What is this guy? I am suspecting Delta, but not entirely sure. I got him at a local family owned pet store (specializing in pet accessories, not fish) for 6.99 as a crowntail.

Just want confirmation.

0bbe57a7d53adb7fbfcfe672a0cf03df.jpg
Looks like a halfmoon to me

Neptune334

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you could get a picture of him flaring, I would be more sure, but he looks like a delta to me. I don’t think his fins extend to a full 180 degrees.

rohanr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Neptune334 said:
If you could get a picture of him flaring, I would be more sure, but he looks like a delta to me. I don’t think his fins extend to a full 180 degrees.
The top fin looks folded down in the picture to me.

MarlissaHales

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Definitely not a Crown tail. It’s hard to tell in this picture. His colors are beautiful.

For determining tail type it's best to have clear, sharp flaring photos to be able to see their full fin spread (particularly the caudal(s). Here's a handy guide to determining HM/SD/DeT:

Halfmoon- straight edge, sharp-pointed clean D shaped 180 degree caudal spread (rounded points just means of lesser quality, standards-wise).

Super Delta- slightly less than 180 degrees but more than at least 160.

Delta- less than 160 degree spread but still with straight edges and not drooping.

Paloma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MarlissaHales said:
Definitely not a Crown tail. It’s hard to tell in this picture. His colors are beautiful.

For determining tail type it's best to have clear, sharp flaring photos to be able to see their full fin spread (particularly the caudal(s). Here's a handy guide to determining HM/SD/DeT:

Halfmoon- straight edge, sharp-pointed clean D shaped 180 degree caudal spread (rounded points just means of lesser quality, standards-wise).

Super Delta- slightly less than 180 degrees but more than at least 160.

Delta- less than 160 degree spread but still with straight edges and not drooping.
I'll trying to get some of him flaring. I think. I'll just set up my make up mirror next to his tank and see how long it takes.

KaderTheAnt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing delta/super delta. He appears to be an older butterfly as his fins have filled in a bit.

MarlissaHales

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
His coloring appears to be Royal Blue but if you just got him I am going to assume he will change colors during the first month.

Paloma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MarlissaHales said:
His coloring appears to be Royal Blue but if you just got him I am going to assume he will change colors during the first month.
Will he still stay blue or will he become any other color along with blue?

I don't mind.

KaderTheAnt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
MarlissaHales said:
I’ve never had my royal blues change colors unless they had marble in them, which I don’t see this one having any signs of

Paloma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Got him flaring finally!

e138efd89e020a46e2994951f45c49b7.jpg

fed401d347cc15eb3c03b7f8fea17cda.jpg

MarlissaHales

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The photos are a little blurry, so it’s hard to tell.
Looks like it would be a Super Delta or a Halfmoon.
I can’t tell wether his tail forms a crisp “D” or not. If it does then it is Halfmoon. If it doesn’t quite reach that then he is a Super Delta.

I agree with KaderTheAnt Royal Blues won’t really change their primary color but they may get more vibrant and show a varied color patterned.

MarlissaHales

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So until his markings become more prevalent after he gets healthy I would say you have a
Royal Blue Super Delta

He may shownto be a Butterfly as he heals.

“fins of the Butterfly (BF) betta display a banded pattern with emphasis placed on the contrast of the band rather than the coloring of the body and fins. The bands should be crisp - not a blending of opposing fin color but one with an equal division between one color and another on the fins. ”

Paloma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've tried getting better photos of him, but he is just really active and blurs on my sucky camera. I'm pretty sure he is a Super Delta. It's hard catching him flare now that he's realized by HM Loto in the next tank over doesn't acknowledge him despite them flaring at each other nonstop the first five minutes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom