Found German Blue Ram Eggs!! Tips Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, well first off I have some questions:

1. How likely is it that the eggs will survive? (This is there first spawn)

2. If they don't survive how long will it likely take for them to lay new eggs? If they do how long will it take for them to lay more eggs?

3. If they do hatch what do I feed them?

4. Their only tank mates are a school of rummy nosse tetras, will they be a problem?

5. From what you can see do these eggs look healthy?

726.jpg

6. Please give me tips on what to do when breeding GBR's.

7. How long should it take for the eggs to hatch since they have layed them?

Im VERY excited!! Please help!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The eggs look good they should hatch into wigglers(little tails sticking out of the eggs) in about three to four days. Then go free swimming in three to four more days(mom and dad will move them several times during this period of time)
GBR fry are terribly tiny and hard to feed. I fed mine golden pearls which is a rotifer powder that I bought at . They also like live baby brine shrimp which you have to hatch in order to feed them.

If these eggs don't work out they will probably lay again in about two weeks.

Depends on the size of the tank whether they will bother any of the other tank mates. If the other fish try to get at their eggs the rams may kill them.
Carol

OP
EmmanuelJB

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
3-4 days? Wow, I was told by someone that it would take only 36-40 hours. Ohh well, I was hoping sooner than later, but o well.

You think they will still hatch even though it is there first eggs?

Does the PH have anything to do with whether they hatch or not?

THANKS!!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It doesn't matter if it's their first eggs or not as long as they are fertilized and they look like they are
I have had rams eggs hatch in 7.8pH so don't know about any other.
carol

OP
EmmanuelJB

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It doesn't matter if it's their first eggs or not as long as they are fertilized and they look like they are
I have had rams eggs hatch in 7.8pH so don't know about any other.
carol
My pH is 8.2 so not too much higher than yours.

Thanks soo much for all of your help!!!!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How cool! Congrats and good luck!
GBR's are one of my favorites but for some reason, I just can't keep them

OP
EmmanuelJB

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have another question... Would it be a good idea to do a water change right now? My last one was on friday (25%) and my next one is planned for tommorrow (which will be 25%). But just now Im noticed that my rummy nose tetra, noses are a little dull. Im not sure if has somthing to do with the water quality or if they are just going into night mode. My rams seem fine...

Any other tips would be Great!!

Also, for the food for the babies would it be ok to crush some flakes very fine for them?

How cool! Congrats and good luck!
GBR's are one of my favorites but for some reason, I just can't keep them
Thanks!!!

OMG! lol!
I woke up this morning and I noticed the eggs were a bit darker and I thought they were dying or somthing, but under closer inspection I noticed 2 little black dots on the eggs (probably eys right?) so Im assuming they are starting to hatch.

I don't have to do any thing right? I am leaving in a little bit and won't be back all day so I hope not...

I am curious though if I should still do my water change later? I don't want to mess the hatching up, but if my water chemistry getts off, that will be a disaster!

Last edited by a moderator:

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OMG! lol!

I am curious though if I should still do my water change later? I don't want to mess the hatching up, but if my water chemistry getts off, that will be a disaster!
The water change is up to you.

3 things could happen. 1 you do the water change and spook the pair and they eat the eggs. But now that they are spawning they will do it again in 2-3 weeks. 2 you do not do a water change and you params get screwed up and you have other issues. 3 you do the water change and all is good no problems.

Normally if I catch a new spawn I try to do a water change right away hopefully the day the eggs are layed. They are pretty defensive at this time and lots of times they hang out by the eggs protecting them and are fine. I do the water change right away because I do big water changes, normally 50-80% a week. I don't want them to spawn then do a WC right as the fry become free swimming. So by doing it right away I personally cut back on feeding to half, so if I normally skip one day inbetween feeding I would now skip two. The reason for this is less feeding less waste and I will normally let the tank go 2 weels instead of one for a WC now so I don't not disturb the pair or the fry. However more often than not I notice the wiggers or fry at WC time and my whole theory is shot. But in a perfect world that is what I do.

Good luck.

Brian

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I usually go ahead and do small water changes no gravel vacuum. I draw from the opposite end of the tank and return water to the opposite end of the tank. This doesn't seem to bother mine. But as you can see from the responses there are several ways to do things So just what ever works for you
keep us posted.
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You asked about crushed flakes. I don't have luck with them as first food beause the fry are so small.
Brian what do you use as first foods?
Carol

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crushed flake for me has had mixed results, but thats as far as I go with fry food, survival of the fittest at my house I guess.

One thing I will share that I have had success with is. Now this isn't for the living room tank as most people don't like the look of it. Like Ram fry I was having trouble with Gymnogeophagus Balzani fry about 4 years ago because they are tiny once free swimming, very tiny. And then I was having trouble with other Gymnogeophagus species also for the same reason, couldn't get those tiny suckers to eat. And I am just giving my experiences this may or may not work for you or others, but it has been very successful for me. I was talking to a friend from Cuba and told him my troubles and of course being a friend he laughed and called me a moron. He said stop vaccuming during water changes, dont stop water changes I still do at least 50% a week but I am only replacing water in these tanks that I know are tough and have very small fry. The reason to let the mulm build up. Like I said it isnt the best tank to look at as you are going for the clean/dirty tank approach, clean part being the new water, dirty part being the mulm. 2 reasons for the mulm build up, gives the fry a place to hide out in but also lots of tiny stuff in there for them to eat. I had 5 or 6 spawnes from the Balzani to free swimming stage but they died off because I couldnt feed them. With the mulm approach I was successful, and have been now with other Gymno species. So that is what has worked for me, but I really don't think you need to go that far with Rams as many people are faising fry with success.

Brian

OP
EmmanuelJB

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the responses!

I may do a VERY small water change. The last time I considered doing a water change and didn't, I had a ram and rummy noose tetra die... (I will stay as far from the eggs as possible...)

I have another question lol...
Since this morning the eggs really hav't changes too much other than more of them got black spots and some of the black spots turned more into lines the dots (I still think they may be eyes)... Is this normal? How long from here should it be unitl they have completley hatched? Its a bit over 40 hours since the eggs were layed...

I have 2 more questions:
1. The mother seems to be going after some of the eggs (trying to eat them) but it only seems like she is doing it to the dead eggs... is this normal or should I be owrried about the living eggs?

2. Should I put nylon over the filter intake tube?

Last edited:

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great ideas Brian! This is kind of what I do in the Krib tank although I don't think anything would spook them
The Ram tank is another thing altogether it's mostly big rocks. I tried hatching brine shrimp and couldn't keep enough fresh ones hatched so moved on to golden pearls which worked.

The eggs sound like they are progressing just fine. Probably at least one more day until wigglers(have you looked at them with a magnifying glass?). dead eggs turn a solid white. These Mom or Dad will eat. Otherwise they may clean the good eggs with their mouth and fan water over them with their fins.

A sponge ot nylon... something inthat order would be good to keep the fry from being sucked into the filter.
Once they go free swimming the other fish in the tank may snack on them so watch them carefully.
carol

OP
EmmanuelJB

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great ideas Brian! This is kind of what I do in the Krib tank although I don't think anything would spook them
The Ram tank is another thing altogether it's mostly big rocks. I tried hatching brine shrimp and couldn't keep enough fresh ones hatched so moved on to golden pearls which worked.

The eggs sound like they are progressing just fine. Probably at least one more day until wigglers(have you looked at them with a magnifying glass?). dead eggs turn a solid white. These Mom or Dad will eat. Otherwise they may clean the good eggs with their mouth and fan water over them with their fins.

A sponge ot nylon... something inthat order would be good to keep the fry from being sucked into the filter.
Once they go free swimming the other fish in the tank may snack on them so watch them carefully.
carol
Ya... Now I think they are just cleaning the eggs!

Unless the Rams eat the fry I doubt anything else will. The only other fish in there are rummy nose tetras and they can barley eat 0.5 mm pellet. I HIGHLY doubt they will bother them.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ya... Now I think they are just cleaning the eggs!

Unless the Rams eat the fry I doubt anything else will. The only other fish in there are rummy nose tetras and they can barley eat 0.5 mm pellet. I HIGHLY doubt they will bother them.
Waiting for you to see how tiny they really are
sounds like things are coming along. Let us know
Carol

OP
EmmanuelJB

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am looking at the eggs, and Im just curious... What are the black things in the eggs? Is it the fish? The black things almost seem way too small to even be the fish (and I know GBR fry are EXTREMLY small) but maybe part of the fish??? Im just curious...

OP
EmmanuelJB

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Probably the eyes. New fry seem to be all eyes and tail
Carol
Ok...
I have a little bad news... I just saw my male ram eat a perfectly healthy egg, so Im not sure hows its going to turn out. If the male decides he really likes them, even if some survive I doubt the fry will.... I hope that was just a fluke.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If he were going to eat them he would have eaten more than one
They may be in the process of moving them which is perfectly normal or there may have been something wrong with the egg.
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom