Found fry

Bettanewb78

Hi all! So I just found some fry in a tank I was using for quarantining and now it holding some extra plants. Can anyone help identify? Also what can I feed them? I tried crushing up some fluval bug bite flakes. I have some flake, pellet and frozen brine shrimp but it all seems like it will be too big for them. I see maybe 5 in there, no idea if they came from the quarantine fish, pygmy corydoras and lampeye killifish, or if they came from my main tank, I have pepper and Venezuelan corys in there and i moved some dwarf water lettuce out last night. I would love to give the little ones a fighting chance, avice very much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20200908_210924.jpg
    20200908_210924.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 49

Shrimpgeek

I don't know what they are, but you don't need to feed them if they are in a planted tank. Are there any bigger fish with them?

Upvote 0

Bettanewb78

I don't know what they are, but you don't need to feed them if they are in a planted tank. Are there any bigger fish with them?

I've got some potted plants in the tank and no other fish. I was gonna move some of my corys into that tank to help keep it cycled until I set up my next tank but i guess I should hold off in that. Do the fry eat algea and stuff off the plants? To be honest the tank needs a good scrubbing but I'm guessing I should wait on that too?

Someone suggested they were lampeye fry and Google images seems to agree. Ill try to find some videos on their breeding.

Upvote 0

Shrimpgeek

I was gonna move some of my corys into that tank to help keep it cycled until I set up my next tank but i guess I should hold off in that.YES Do the fry eat algea and stuff off the plants? YES To be honest the tank needs a good scrubbing but I'm guessing I should wait on that too? YES

Good luck with them!

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

I could be completely wrong but from first look they look like Cory fry. Keep crushing different foods as fine as you can and they should derfinitely get some of it. Another good alternative i always suggest for any fry is if you boil an egg you can take a toothpick and poke a tiny piece of the yoke and drop it in the tank. It's a great protein source to help fish grow. IME anyways.

Upvote 0

Bettanewb78

I could be completely wrong but from first look they look like Cory fry. Keep crushing different foods as fine as you can and they should derfinitely get some of it. Another good alternative i always suggest for any fry is if you boil an egg you can take a toothpick and poke a tiny piece of the yoke and drop it in the tank. It's a great protein source to help fish grow. IME anyways.
I'll try that! Someone also suggested Hikari First Bites. I looked up lampeye and cory fry and they look so similar I guess I'll wait and see. Looks like there's 4 in there which will make a nice school of 9 lampeyes or 16 pygmy corys if they all make it.

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

I'll try that! Someone also suggested Hikari First Bites. I looked up lampeye and cory fry and they look so similar I guess I'll wait and see. Looks like there's 4 in there which will make a nice school of 9 lampeyes or 16 pygmy corys if they all make it.
Yes we fed Hiraki first bites to a lot of guppy and cory fr but soon found out they will eat pretty much anything that is ground up fine enough. Just another thought is you can take the food u have and put it in a small container of tank water and let it soak for a minute and dump it in and i'm sure they will find it that way as well. Lastly frozen Daphnia should also work as a good fry food. And everyone else will enjoy it as well. Let a cube thaw out in a container of tank water and dump a little in.

Upvote 0

yukondog

My first impression was cory also, I have hatched and raised cory fry on finely crushed flake and pellet and a small amount of egg yoke [small amount will go a long way] and target feed with a eye dropper or turkey baster, good luck.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bettanewb78
Replies
Views
ayeayeron
  • Question
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids