Found Fish! Yellow Shiner in outdoor tub

Debbie1986

Well Known
I was removing guppies from my summer tubs and found a Yellow Shiner in 1 of my tubs!!!

The only thing I can think is that an egg transferred or a local brid lost it's lunch into the tub somehow?

anyway, what should I do with it? leave it in tub? ( to freeze and die in NOV or there abouts ) find a pond/creek ( it's a native species to Georgia)

it's fully matured and looks pretty nifty!

the only tank I have ( high water flow etc) is the 55 gallon and I think the catfish will eat him because he's pretty thin size wise.

he looks healthy and fit. I'm leaning to the pond, we have a retench pond at end of subdivision no idea of stocking, neighbor fish it so he'd likey be eaten there as well.

I'm not sure fish and game handle 1 fish like this... ugh.

Attachments

• 20220927_113751.jpg
    20220927_113751.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 22

BestFisher2022

Gosh thats a really hard decision! I would place it in its native streams as long as your laws allow it! Cool fish!

PeterFishKeepin

Well Known
well if the fish is native to that area wouldn't it be able to handle cooler temperatures?

SparkyJones

Well Known
I do not think it's a yellow shiner or a yellow fin, both have a triangular dorsal fin.
I'm not sure what it is yet, but I don't think it's a shiner.

Maybe a top minnow or a NA killifish? Lucania Goodei maybe? I think so.
Info is here.
Lucania goodei

Hellfishguy

Well Known
Bluefin killies frequently appear in tanks as if by magic. Their eggs come in attached to plants shipped from Florida.

Mudminnow

Well Known
I was removing guppies from my summer tubs and found a Yellow Shiner in 1 of my tubs!!!
Cool, but it's not a yellow shiner. I think it's a bluefin killifish.
The only thing I can think is that an egg transferred or a local brid lost it's lunch into the tub somehow?
As Hellfishguy said, the eggs probably came in on something else. Although, I have read that some fish eggs survive moving though the gut of some birds, so they can be distributed in their droppings...like seeds.
anyway, what should I do with it?
Do you have an aquarium to move it to? Bluefin killifish make great aquarium fish. I've kept several myself.
leave it in tub? ( to freeze and die in NOV or there abouts )
They can handle a bit of chilly weather. I've caught them in parts of Florida where it gets a little frosty in the winter. If you live in a place that hard freezes though, I wouldn't trust this fish to survive...but I'm not really sure.
find a pond/creek ( it's a native species to Georgia)
Do not release any fish into the wild--even native fishes. There's always a chance they picked something up in your care that could be introduced to wild populations and cause harm.
it's fully matured and looks pretty nifty!
They are great little fish.
the only tank I have ( high water flow etc) is the 55 gallon and I think the catfish will eat him because he's pretty thin size wise.
Bluefin killifish don't particularly need high water flow. Most of the one's I've caught have been in sluggish parts of rivers or creeks or in ponds. They hang out in areas with lots of aquatic plants. They aren't particularly aggressive either. So, they make a fine addition to a typical community tank.
he looks healthy and fit. I'm leaning to the pond, we have a retench pond at end of subdivision no idea of stocking, neighbor fish it so he'd likey be eaten there as well.
I know a retention pond is not entirely a wild space, but they often connect to wild waterways. So, in the event of a storm or something, any potential diseases this fish transferred to the retention pond could spread. Therefore, I still think it's best not to release it.
I'm not sure fish and game handle 1 fish like this... ugh.
I think your best options are:
  • keep it
  • give it to another hobbyist/fish shop
  • euthanize it

jtjgg

Well Known
put him in the 55g. if you have some decor and plants, he'll have a chance of surviving vs the other options

OP
Debbie1986

Debbie1986

Well Known
Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all the info!

I will try him in the 55 gallon then. It's dark now, so I'll do it tomorrow after their water change.
I have added some female guppies to that tank. I had some on there before in the spring.

The featherfin and silvers seem okay by them since they occupy the top of the water so I think he'll be okay hanging out with those guppies then and there's a ton of fake plants to hide ( silvers eat plants, so it's all fake)

SparkyJones

Well Known
If you could get a cheap tank and sponge filter type thing or tiny hang on back even on of the starter kits on the cheap, or even move a smaller tub inside, that guy likes calm water like a betta does and really don't need much beyond that, some plant and some food, it's why it was happy and grew out in the tub.
Maybe a female turns up also and then you got a little native breeding project to overwinter, I think faster water would kill it most likely and it won't be able to adjust.
Id do that and if not, I'd probably take it to a fish store now knowing what it is and see if they'd take it and maybe it gets a good home.
My personal opinion is it would be a shame for him to not have much of a shot at surviving in the wrong place after the luck this guy has had to get to where he was, and it's true he could introduce disease that domestic fish have that he got immunity to, that wild populations have no exposure to. Releasing to the retention pond might be troubling in the long run for the people that like to fish it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Akari_32
  • xenabrat
  • Koi
Replies
Views
Doug

Did You Know...

You can learn how to set up a reef tank here:
Reef Tank Setup