Found Duck's Nest

kspeed

New Member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Hi, my first time here. I was gardening and came across a Duck's nest. I may have caused issue for mom! With pulling weeds and using rake I found nest. There was an egg that was open possibly containing a little one. Not sure if I did this or if it was already put out of nest.
I was of course upset and consumed with grief and what mom was going to do...I went out late last night and mom wasn't on nest. This morning however having to check again to see if mom was there, the rest of the eggs were gone and looked like a few more eggs were opened, observing one of them had a little yoke. They were laying around the nest about a foot out.

How long do I wait before going back in to the garden? I did also put up sign that there was a nest.

Thank you
 

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Messages
529
Reaction score
109
Points
38
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would let nature take its course and leave it alone because if you visit it too often the mom will think that the nesting area is not good and abandon the eggs. Yesterday I found a mom and like 10 tiny babies walking on the sidewalk. They were so cute.
 

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,352
Reaction score
1,694
Points
198
Experience
3 years
I would move the nest. The whole "if you touch it the mom wont care for it" thing has been debunked. Ducks Unlimited volunteers sometimes have to move nests when they are building habitat. I would rather the ducks not be used to humans being around them than them get too domesticated.

It's also possible it was an abandoned nest already though.

Is this the first time you've been using the garden this year? Momma generally wouldn't nest anywhere near people and activities.
 

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Messages
529
Reaction score
109
Points
38
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you move the nest the mom probably will get scared so I think the best option is to leave it alone. As long as you aren't feeding/playing with the ducks they shouldn't become domesticated instead when the eggs hatch they will most likely leave instead of sticking around.
Wraithen said:
I would move the nest. The whole "if you touch it the mom wont care for it" thing has been debunked. Ducks Unlimited volunteers sometimes have to move nests when they are building habitat. I would rather the ducks not be used to humans being around them than them get too domesticated.

It's also possible it was an abandoned nest already though.

Is this the first time you've been using the garden this year? Momma generally wouldn't nest anywhere near people and activities.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

kspeed

New Member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
1
OneLittleBubble said:
I would let nature take its course and leave it alone because if you visit it too often the mom will think that the nesting area is not good and abandon the eggs. Yesterday I found a mom and like 10 tiny babies walking on the sidewalk. They were so cute.
Thank you

Thank you to everyone who responded. My question is how long do I stay out of the area after the eggs are gone? Again, nest was found yesterday and this morning the rest of the eggs that were not disturbed are gone.
 

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Messages
1,745
Reaction score
1,314
Points
148
Experience
1 year
kspeed said:
This morning however having to check again to see if mom was there, the rest of the eggs were gone and looked like a few more eggs were opened, observing one of them had a little yoke. They were laying around the nest about a foot out.
This makes me think (with reasonable certainty, based on experience) that the eggs were eaten by a predator or scavenger. It's still early in the season, and the mum might try to build a new nest and lay another clutch of eggs still.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom