Found Driftwood- Yay Or Ney?

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by Kaleidoscope_Eyes83, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Kaleidoscope_Eyes83New MemberMember

Is it safe to use these 2 pieces of driftwood in my aquarium?

I found them at Wichita Falls about 5 years ago. They have just been sitting in a box since. I'd do a bleach soak for several days, then a fresh water soak for several more, changing out the water daily.

My concerns:

I don't know what type of wood it is other than hardwood. I read that walnut should be avoided.

Since they were harvested from a river, should I worry that they may have dangerous chemicals inside that would kill my fish?

Also, I have mystery snails, however my PH is 8, and I'd like to do a community tank so wouldn't mind if the driftwood brought it down slightly, I think?

Attached Files:

2. McGooValued MemberMember

I've used my own driftwood before, by the looks of it you should be good to go. I don't know about the walnut part, but what I've done with mine was scrub it under really hot water with a wire brush. I also used an angle grinder with a wire wheel to remove the remaining "rine" from the bark, which I don't think you need to worry about. However, I would water log it for a little while until it is no longer buoyant. (I soaked mine I a kiddy pool with bricks on it for about a month, just because of the size). Then I left it in a spare tank to see if any tannins leached out for a day or two. Then I put it in my main tank. Hopefully this helps.

3. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

I'd just give it a good hot soak for a day and place in tank.

4. Kaleidoscope_Eyes83New MemberMember

Thanks, I have it soaking in hot water right now. So no bleach is necessary because of the long period of time that it's been dry?

5. LowieTheLoachValued MemberMember

They look small enough to fit in a large roasting pan. I would fill the roasting pan with water and boil then in the oven for a few hours. I did that with my smaller pieces and they sank immediately. My larger piece got several hot baths over about a month and is tied to several rocks because it still floats.

Also, all my driftwood came out of a local river and boiling will get rid of anything nasty still in it.

6. McGooValued MemberMember

I wouldn't use bleach, I really don't think its needed considering the hot water being used to clean it. Thr wood is porous and the bleach will soak in. Don't want that to leech out in the tank.

7. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

What types of wood are bad to use? I have some cool driftwood i found at a river. I don’t know what type it is, so i am hesitant to use it.

8. Kaleidoscope_Eyes83New MemberMember

I've read that you should try to use hardwoods (if you can't dig your fingernail into it- it is probably hardwood).

Also avoid walnut and woods with resin in them, such as pine as it can leech into your water and harm fish

9. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

This is true. Stay away from aromatic woods like pine and cedar. Check out the driftwood section in the aquarium forum tab. Tell exactly what woods to use and avoid and how to treat them. Boiling is good. :)

10. maeh22Valued MemberMember

I would love to see your tank!

11. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

I tried scraping them and smelling them. They didn’t smell like anything.

12. McGooValued MemberMember

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice