Help Found cory eggs!

Jakkie

Active Member
Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
106
Location
Massachusetts
Experience
2 years
Woke up this morning to Cory eggs all over our tank! Tried to count and its close to 100. It could be greens or schwartz babies since we started a school of Greens then our LFS got Schwartz (our favorite) and we haven't returned the greens yet. But we really want to try to make sure they hatch and I have 0 experience with breeding fish/saving eggs. Any help would be super appreciated thank you!
EDIT: I will be using this thread to continue to share the babies growth and get advice on continuing to raise them!
20200201_100205.jpg20200201_100047.jpg20200201_100148.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Jakkie

Jakkie

Active Member
Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
106
Location
Massachusetts
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
Congratulations on your first of many cory eggs. When I got my first ones I read this thread. Followed the instructions and before long had lots more corys.
Thank you so much! Will definitely be using that as a guide. I hope I end up with lots of little babies I'm excited
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,082
Reaction score
11,845
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Jakkie said:
Thank you so much! Will definitely be using that as a guide. I hope I end up with lots of little babies I'm excited
I remember how exciting it was to see my first cory eggs. My albino/bronze corys were so prolific I now have at the very least 25 of them in my 55 gallon tank. Now when I see eggs I scrape them off to make it easier for all the fish to eat them. I would love to just allow all of them to hatch but my tank already has more than it should.
 

Wardonianfungus

Active Member
Member
Messages
485
Reaction score
258
Location
Las Vegas
Experience
3 years
What are your tank parameters? Size, water chemistry, inhabitants, etc. depending on your size, and other fish, you should go to a store, grab a tote (safe plastic), and treat this tote like a tank. Put a few decor pieces from you main tank, cycle a sponge filter, or take some biomedia from your filter and put it in the tote, insta cycling it. Not sure what to feed them, but I think you can crush shrimp pellets with a clean knife.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Jakkie

Jakkie

Active Member
Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
106
Location
Massachusetts
Experience
2 years
Wardonianfungus said:
What are your tank parameters? Size, water chemistry, inhabitants, etc. depending on your size, and other fish, you should go to a store, grab a tote (safe plastic), and treat this tote like a tank. Put a few decor pieces from you main tank, cycle a sponge filter, or take some biomedia from your filter and put it in the tote, insta cycling it. Not sure what to feed them, but I think you can crush shrimp pellets with a clean knife.
Last night we got a barely .25ppm ammonia reading but I put prime in and primed again today just in case. Ill check again later on. 0 nitrites and nitrates because of all the plants. Its a 20 gallon long, currently 9 cories but plan on bringing 5 back since we want all Schwartz (will have 8), 6 CPDs and 1 kubataI rasbora (will get more) and a nerite snail. I was wondering if I should do the plastic tub method or try converting our 5 gallon (has 1 fish that I plan on bringing back soon but its been up and running for a long time so its fully cycled) into a baby tank. I was thinking do a water change and put the parent tank water into the 5 gallon with some of our java moss and get some sand to cover the gravel? Idk if that's a good idea or if I should just do the plastic tub
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,082
Reaction score
11,845
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Jakkie said:
Last night we got a barely .25ppm ammonia reading but I put prime in and primed again today just in case. Ill check again later on. 0 nitrites and nitrates because of all the plants. Its a 20 gallon long, currently 9 cories but plan on bringing 5 back since we want all Schwartz (will have 8), 6 CPDs and 1 kubataI rasbora (will get more) and a nerite snail. I was wondering if I should do the plastic tub method or try converting our 5 gallon (has 1 fish that I plan on bringing back soon but its been up and running for a long time so its fully cycled) into a baby tank. I was thinking do a water change and put the parent tank water into the 5 gallon with some of our java moss and get some sand to cover the gravel? Idk if that's a good idea or if I should just do the plastic tub
The 5 gallon should be a perfect grow out tank for your cory fry. another plus to using it. You will be able to see your fry much better through glass instead of an opaque plastic tote.
 

Wardonianfungus

Active Member
Member
Messages
485
Reaction score
258
Location
Las Vegas
Experience
3 years
Jakkie said:
Last night we got a barely .25ppm ammonia reading but I put prime in and primed again today just in case. Ill check again later on. 0 nitrites and nitrates because of all the plants. Its a 20 gallon long, currently 9 cories but plan on bringing 5 back since we want all Schwartz (will have 8), 6 CPDs and 1 kubataI rasbora (will get more) and a nerite snail. I was wondering if I should do the plastic tub method or try converting our 5 gallon (has 1 fish that I plan on bringing back soon but its been up and running for a long time so its fully cycled) into a baby tank. I was thinking do a water change and put the parent tank water into the 5 gallon with some of our java moss and get some sand to cover the gravel? Idk if that's a good idea or if I should just do the plastic tub
Seems fine, only problem that I can see is not having enough bottom space for the corries once they are a week or two old. If you are bringing water from your tank for the bacteria, very little of it actually lives in the water, but since you have almost perfect water quality, it would be smart to fill it up anyway. The gravel will be great for bacteria but definitely cover it with sand, I have my tank dirted with a cap of play sand, and my cories love it. What kind of filter do you have?
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,082
Reaction score
11,845
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
The 5 gallon should be a perfect grow out tank for your cory fry. another plus to using it. You will be able to see your fry much better through glass instead of an opaque plastic tote.
Here I go quoting my own post again :) but wanted to add. I know about not being able to see the fry as well because I actually use them for grow out tanks :D I love that I can stack them in a small space when not in use.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Jakkie

Jakkie

Active Member
Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
106
Location
Massachusetts
Experience
2 years
Wardonianfungus said:
Seems fine, only problem that I can see is not having enough bottom space for the corries once they are a week or two old. If you are bringing water from your tank for the bacteria, very little of it actually lives in the water, but since you have almost perfect water quality, it would be smart to fill it up anyway. The gravel will be great for bacteria but definitely cover it with sand, I have my tank dirted with a cap of play sand, and my cories love it. What kind of filter do you have?
Thank you for the help! I mostly wanted the tank water so that the water quality and parameters are as close to the same as possible. Yeah I didn't want to get rid of the gravel for that reason. I was hoping just to get them into the 5 gallon just to see how many will survive and keep them safe from the other fish until theyre a little bigger, then take back the 5 cories I don't want to keep and once that's all set, move the babies back to the 20 until theyre big enough to give away. That came out very complicated sorry. Edit: 20 gallon has a tidal 35 filter and a sponge filter. The 5 has a tetra whisper (not the greatest I know)
 

Wardonianfungus

Active Member
Member
Messages
485
Reaction score
258
Location
Las Vegas
Experience
3 years
No problem, and it wasn’t that complicated to read. I think that with your stocking, the biggest threat would be your filter. I would just keep them in the gal long enough for them to eat not specially prepared food, and what you normally feed the other cories
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
Jakkie

Jakkie

Active Member
Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
106
Location
Massachusetts
Experience
2 years
Wardonianfungus said:
No problem, and it wasn’t that complicated to read. I think that with your stocking, the biggest threat would be your filter. I would just keep them in the gal long enough for them to eat not specially prepared food, and what you normally feed the other cories
I'm at my LFS right now, I think I'm going to grab some filter media bags to put over the filters and secure them with rubber bands that way no one can get sucked in
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,082
Reaction score
11,845
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Jakkie said:
I'm at my LFS right now, I think I'm going to grab some filter media bags to put over the filters and secure them with rubber bands that way no one can get sucked in
That should work. Personally I am a big fan of sponge filter for these tiny fry. Not only will they not be sucked into them but they also find microscopic food on them. Maybe you could pick up a pre-filter sponge instead of the media bags.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
Jakkie

Jakkie

Active Member
Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
106
Location
Massachusetts
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
That should work. Personally I am a big fan of sponge filter for these tiny fry. Not only will they not be sucked into them but they also find microscopic food on them.
I was thinking of getting one but I'm worrued of getting rid of the normal filter and end up having to cycle the tank again
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,082
Reaction score
11,845
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Jakkie said:
I was thinking of getting one but I'm worrued of getting rid of the normal filter and end up having to cycle the tank again
If you could get the pre-filter sponge to put on the end of the intake tube it would work much like a normal sponge filter and will also keep the super tiny fry from being sucked in.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
Jakkie

Jakkie

Active Member
Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
106
Location
Massachusetts
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
If you could get the pre-filter sponge to put on the end of the intake tube it would work much like a normal sponge filter and will also keep the super tiny fry from being sucked in.
Sadly neither filter had a normal intake tube
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,082
Reaction score
11,845
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Well shoot. I am afraid these tiny fry will get pulled through media bags unless they are made of panty hose type material. When your eggs hatch you will see what I mean. They are super tiny. I guess I am not sure what kind of filter you have on the 5 gallon tank, I was thinking HOB

I see now that a tetra whisper could be either a HOB or an internal filter.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
OP
Jakkie

Jakkie

Active Member
Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
106
Location
Massachusetts
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
Well shoot. I am afraid these tiny fry will get pulled through media bags unless they are made of panty hose type material. When your eggs hatch you will see what I mean. They are super tiny. I guess I am not sure what kind of filter you have on the 5 gallon tank, I was thinking HOB

I see now that a tetra whisper could be either a HOB or an internal filter.
I talked with the owner of my LFS and he gave me some sponge to cut up in the media bag then put the sponge and bag over the internal filter for extra security. Hopefully that works
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
125
Guests online
2,099
Total visitors
2,224

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom