Found Black Worms In My Tank

1. I

Icewarrior Initiate Member

I was checking in on my fry when I noticed a bunch of these bad boys hanging on my breeder nets. Any ideas what they could be? Should I be concerned?

Attached Files:

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Can you get a better shot? Hubby says they look like sharpie squiggles because the thread pattern comes through the black color? Could you get one and put it in a white container to get a better pic? Thanks. :)

3. OP
    OP
    I

Here is a better picture

Attached Files:

4. Gypsy13

Thank you. I’ll need some eyes on this one, hubby has left the building. @Jenoli42 @Hunter1 @DarkOne some eyes please? Thank you. :)

Do you feed any live food? Do you have plants?

5. OP
    OP
    I

6. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

7. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Its called..flat worm or round worms. Can't remember the exact name, but you should get rid of them. If I remember correctly, I had it one time because I was over feeding. It's been such a long time that I can't even remember the name. Do they have like a flat head?

8. wodesorel

wodesorel Member Member

It may be drain fly larvae. We live off a wetland and have tons, and every so often I will find small black larvae like that semi-submerged. They even got a cricket pillow once!

9. Gypsy13

Thanks guys!
    Ok. Even though we’re not exactly sure which larvae they are the consensus is to get rid of them. Before the become adults and turn your filter into a nightmare. Hey! @Goldiemom do these look like your bloodworm problem or a different fly larvae?

10. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

No. Mine were smaller and red.

11. Gypsy13

So definitely get rid of them. Wish I could see them!

12. Goldiemom

Sorry, Gypsy, I should have described them. Dark, maybe black and shaped kind of like an earthworm only smaller but much larger than a bloodworm.

13. Gypsy13

Cool! Thank you.

14. OP
    OP
    I

Thank you all so much for your help. I decided to wage war against them, because if I am not 100% sure I didn't want to risk it with over 70 fry in my tank. The deed of getting rid of them (or at least the ones I can see) is done.

15. Goldiemom

I first found my blood worm infestation in my fry tank and it freaked me out! They did fine though.