Found a way to make water changes easier

Arkodios

I’m currently running a small 10 gallon tank to keep some cichlid fry alive. I want to give them very high water quality so I’m replacing 25% of the water every day, and 50% on sundays. I always found it a little frustrating how pouring the bucket of water into the tank would disturb all the decor and overwhelm the fish. The same applies for another 20 gallon I am finishing setting up. The 20 gallon, being a Waterbox Cube 20, brings its own pump but I want it to be a betta tank so the pump is too strong. I downgraded to a Sicce Syncra Nano.

Doing a water change, I thought about how much easier water changes would be if you could siphon the bucket water upwards into the tank. Then I remembered I had the spare pump. I put the pump in the bucket and the tube I use to do water changes happens to fit on it perfectly. I turned it on and everything worked out great- I did not have to lift the bucket which can sometimes be a bit straining, and it provided a steady yet quick upwards water flow that did not disturb the aquarium one bit. For larger tanks, the best way to clean the tanks hands down is a python hose, but if the tank is in a hard to reach place, such as if it’s upstairs, I think this is a really helpful solution to the problem that is messy water changes, and I thought I should share my ‘discovery’.

Good aquarium pumps can be expensive but for these purposes you could use something small and cheap. I found one on Amazon for as little as $6.

PurityNWhiteRoses

That is genius! I'll keep that in mind!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
McFly
Replies
Views
Rick bose