Found A Snail

Discussion in 'Snails' started by nalathelion19, Apr 25, 2017.

1. nalathelion19

nalathelion19 Valued Member Member

I found this snail in my tank I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind he is? How he got in there? My tank is loaded with live plants, will he eat them? Is he good or bad for my tank full of cichlids? 391ba85640e1b4e3865d2df076cbe764.jpg a6a37542139d8eb7bfcfa1a028ffd418.jpg

2. I

ILLBETHEJUDGE Valued Member Member

Pond or bladder snail

3. OP
    OP
    nalathelion19

Do you think there are more?

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Its a bladder snail and there is probably more but it shouldn't become a problem unless you overfeed or dont clean your tank enough.

5. OP
    OP
    nalathelion19

Okay and if I want to get rid of them how do I do that

6. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

You grab crush them in your hands and feed them to the fish. Or you get an assasin snail to hunt the bad boys down for you. Just get one tho, if you put more than 2 they will also become a pest altough not as bad.

7. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You can also not feed the fish for a week but I agree an assassin snail since you have plants.

The snail probably got there from the plants if you planted some recently or it hitched a ride in when you got new fish. Squishing them helps but one dies and 10 more are born.

8. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't crush them with your fingers as snails can carry a disease or parasite i forget which that can infect you. I used a pai of aquarium tweezers to break the shell a little and then feed them still alive to my fish. My fish have now become accustomed to them and my tank is littered with empty shells.

9. OP
    OP
    nalathelion19

How many should I get do you think and they won't eat my plants?

10. Neptune334

Neptune334 Valued Member Member

Your snail does look like some kind of pest snail. If you find one, that means that there are more. They reproduce very quickly and can be quite annoying. Some people make snail traps to catch them and some use assasin snails. Assasin snails can also reproduce, though they do it more slowly. The most effective thing is reducing the amount of food you feed your fish and picking out the snails by hand.

11. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

Assassin snails kill nerite snails as well so if you want to keep the pretty, non-invasive snails, don't get the assassins.

If there is one there is more! Think of it like finding an ant in your house, that little ant came in but he's not alone. I put them in a little cup and told my husband to "get rid of them". He didn't put them down the drain or the toilet but he still won't tell me where he put them. That was weeks ago and I haven't bought more plants yet the other day I found another snail. For days I stared, yes stared, at my tank with the lid off and would pull them off as I saw them. They're fairly fast and they will drop down into your substrate if you don't get it the first time. Good luck if you have black substrate.

12. OP
    OP
    nalathelion19

First one down! 920c3aefb15c74368abb143baa585a12.jpg

13. OP
    OP
    nalathelion19

I squished 2 of them and it was pretty gross I have to say I'm not a fan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice