Found a snail in my tank

jackgooner87

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
2 weeks ago i put two guppies in my tank with 2 real plants. I have just noticed a snail on my tank. How would it get there? What should i do with it?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi welcome to FishLore!!
It probably hitched a ride on the plants. I'd suggest you remove it asap and I hate to say, destroy it. Unless you have an extra tank you'd like to devote to these snails Pest snails can be really hard to get rid of. They don't need a mate to breed.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had a LFS accidentally scoop up a snail when I got fish once.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Happened to me, too. Normally, I suggest to just leave the snail alone (read my signature, lol). IF you have a sudden population explosion, it's a nice reminder to stop overfeeding. I have pond snails in my tank and barely notice them.

He probably hitched a ride on a live plant, or, as Mosin said, with the fish. Happened tons of times at Petsmart where I used to go.

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What type of snail is it? Is it a ramshorn (they have a flat circle shaped shell with a spiral) or a MTS snail (cone shaped)? they are both algae eaters and eat extra food. their population is limited to the amount of extra food in the tank, so if you do good gravel vacuums and dont overfeed, you can have thier benifits without getting over run with snails.

personally, i keep ramshorn snails on purpose, and i plan to get some MTS

SammyJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I like snails as I have 3 black mystery snails (the larger species), and an apple snail. They are great tank cleaners. I can't wait to see how big that apple snail gets I have never had one before.

I have never had mystery snails breed in any of my tanks though and I have tried to get them to breed. I love the little under water vacuum cleaners.

jackgooner87

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
it looks like a mts snail but they are so small at the moment i cant really tell. Is it best to get rid of them or keep an eye on how many i get? I have got rid of one all ready and just seen a new one today.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads