Found a small snail in my tank

Hego_Damask

I recently added some plants in my 20 G & today I noticed what appears to be a tiny snail in my tank. I’ve seen some people have problems with snail infestations, so should I take it out ? I only see one. Will perhaps my ADF’s take care of it ?

ruud

Looks like a ramshorn. Love em.
They're able to self-fertilise, but this will only occur under certain conditions. My best bet is, if you see one, you most likely have more. And since they are hermaphrodites, they'll no doubt reproduce.

Never experienced infestations myself. Just keep the "carrying capacity" for a population low. Mine experience food competition from shrimp; I have plenty of tiny ramshorn in my shrimp tank, but only few make it to adulthood.

Bladder snails are the ones I find much more difficult to control. Luckily they are not in my tanks anymore.

I have zero experience with frogs, except those in my pond outside.

Kathylee

It's a baby bladder snail! If you have one, there's probably more or an egg sac somewhere hiding. They reproduce quickly! You can remove him, squish & dispose. Or keep him, they'll clean algae & leftover food up. No matter how many I personally remove, the next week there's always more.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mimo91088
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Feeding mystery snail
  • BettaBuddies0621
  • Snails
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question