Found A Single Tiny Pond Snail

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Allegra, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Allegra

AllegraValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +54
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi all, I just found a tiny pond snail in my 5.5 gallon betta tank. I removed it, I'm just wondering how to avoid an outbreak. Would an assassin snail be a smart move? Or would they end up breeding and becoming a problem? I could move some to my other tank if they reproduced but i don't want a bunch of them that's for sure.

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +833
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Is it a planted tank? Do you have a separate filter? There's a good chance you have more. If you really don't want an outbreak, remove your filter and either poison the tank for snails or flush it with really hot water.(remove fish too obviously). And clean the filter media well mechanically and sanitize the other filter components.

3. OP
    OP
    Allegra

AllegraValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +54
    Experience:
    Just started
    It has three live plants that would be where they came from. But I don't want to go that far, I will kill all my good bacteria if i do that. I have a hob filter. I'm not wanting to get obsessive about getting rid of them to the point of dismantling my tank. I'd be ok with them in small numbers, I just want some tips on how to keep numbers under control. I'd love to know if an assassin snail is a good option. Or if snail traps are safe with tetras.

4. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,272
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You could put a slice of blanched cucumber in the tank overnight. In the morning you should have snails all over it. Just throw it out.

5. Redshark1

Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,756
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    First check for further snails. If you don't have any more there's a chance you won't have a problem.

And anyway, you don't have a problem yet. Snails only cause a problem in one of my six tanks.

6. Btull3911

Btull3911Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    On my 29 gallon I had an algae outbreak “hair algae” and soon to follow a snail outbreak. I added some otos and cleaned the algae. No food for snails. I’m sure I have a few but haven’t seen them.

7. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,687
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I agree with @Cichlidude Try the blanched cucumber, zucchini or even a piece of lettuce first to determine if you have lots of snails. Put it in after lights out. Check it in the AM. The number of snails on it can help you determine whether or not you have a problem that needs a solution.

You may want to set the piece of veggie on or in a small container. If there are a lot of snails they will drop off when you try to remove the veggie. If it is contained you will be able to remove them easier.

8. Granny Fish

Granny FishNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    When I first introduced plants to my tank I soon found a tiny snail. I removed him. Next came 2. Removed. I came to an agreement with them, if they stayed hidden, I would not place them out in the sun! After a couple of weeks of this they were either gone or good at hiding. That was 18 months ago!
    Patiently persistent !