Found a little babe zebra danio, what should I do?

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I found a little tiny zebra danio fry in my tank. Right now it's just in a container swimming around but I don't know what to do with it seeing as I don't have anything for a babe. I'm assuming his fellow fry where eaten with possibly someone else hiding in the plants or maybe he's just the one who got away. I'd hate to dump him down the drain or put him in the tank as a snack...he's already been sucked up by a vacum, dumped into a tub, sucked up by a Baster and squirted into another container not to mention escaping being his parents snack and still swimming! a cute lil splinter, any ideas?

burnellhman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would let him grow in a 5 gallon until he is older.how big is the container

dee34

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
that's great you found the little guy , try to get one of those box nets which you can hang on the side of yuor tank !

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's just a 1 gallon I use for fish water. It's not a tank. I will look for the net/ box I don't have $$ for tank...I'll give it a try maybe he will make it. Better than the drain anyway.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, I got a breeder net. I know that a separate tank and everything would be better but I couldn't get that, Sorry. Hopefully down the road I can and I hope this will work. I got this one..

https://leesaqpet.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=175&category_id=31

And I found 2 more. They are so tiny, my mom can't even see them. Is crushing flake good enough? I haven't seen them eat but they are swimming around. Can anyone tell me what to expect? When will they get bigger?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have java moss, add a bit of that to the breeder net. The fry should be able to feed off of any microorganisms in the moss. Hikari First Bites, baby brine shrimp or Kens golden pearls are good first foods.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can find it at your local store, Hikari First bites are only like $2.50 and it will last you a long time with only a few fry. I used a breeder net for my kribs but the dad just kept biting them through the net. Shouldn't have that problem with danios though they aren't big enough to damage the net like my krib did.

Danionins

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi FLGirl, congrats on the baby fish! Baby fish are the reward for doing a stellar job of fish keeping.

Crushed flake will be fine for them... just crush it until it's like talcum powder, it needs to be very fine. If you can, feed them just a pinch 6 or 8 times a day. They can not eat much, so they need to eat often.

If you are feeling adventurous, you can also feed them some egg yoke. We used this all the time back in the day. Just boil an egg and then dissolve a small piece of the yoke in some water. Give them a drop just like you would the crushed flake.

With plenty of food and lots of clean water, they will be sexually mature in 10 to 12 weeks, about 75% the size of your adults. They will also be the prettiest fish in your tank!

Dennis

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for all the responses! Iv been torn between 'Wow! How cool, baby fish' and 'Oh No! O-M-G! Baby fish! :helpsmilie:'

I'll try everything said. I think I didn't grind it enough maybe, I'll check out the other foods too. I don't have java moss...Maybe I could get some..Do they need something like a plant to feel like they can hide or anything too or does it not matter?? I have a couple tiny wisteria plants that, should I float one in there?

Thanks for helping me, Iv been googling but can't always find exactly what & I like to get feedback here too.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah a plant wouldn't be bad in there, might make them feel more secure. Most LFS around here carry java moss. You just get a clump of it for like 3 bucks. Careful for pond snails though

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello, I was able to get Hikari first bites, I wasn't sure If was grinding the reg food enough or right. How do you feed them the right small amount?

Also I could not find any java moss! Iv seen it before but it wasn't around this time, I did have some small wisteria plants that had been popping up anyway so put them in there so at least there is something if they feel the need to hide. How ever they seem content to just swim around.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I always just pinched a little bit and put it in the water. Just small amounts. I'm not sure you'd need much with only a few fish. I put it in a cup with some water from the tank then shot it into the tank with a turkey baster. But the fish were in the tank with mama krib at the time. You'll figure it out.

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree with the java moss. I have raised a lot of fry in one of those breeder nets. I tried hikari first bites, but they did not seem to eat it. i have had much better success with kens golden pearls. I dip a toothpick into the water, then into the firstbites,gloden pearls, then into the water again. it feeds a good abount. I remove excess food by dipping a cup into the water, so about half the cup is under water and only the lip of a small part of the cup is under water, surface tensipon draws in the left over food, but not the fry. I use a turky baster to place back any fry i may accidently catch.
When i do a water change, i would put the old water (i do a lot of gravel vacuuming) into a 5gal bucket. i would then pour half the water into another bucket. I would swirl the water so all the junk is drawn to the center. over the next couple days i would use a flashlight and turkey baster to catch the fry (they are hard to identify at first because they are so small, but you get the hang of it)
It is a good idea to have a small feeding ring in the breeder net in which you place the food. it makes removing food much easier and you will not catch fry as often. when they are small it is good to feed small amounts several time a day. I have a couple ramshorn snails (not mystery snails) in the breeder net to eat excess food. The java moss gives microorganisms, shelter, and catches bits of food you feed which they can then nibble on and pick off during the day. It is important to have good water quality, because the fry are sensitive.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for all the great advice, My LFS didn't have Java Moss at this time (plants are changing always in there) and a LPS did not have it either. I will see if my Mom can check a different place tomorrow but can't be sure. Sometimes Iv seen ''Moss Balls'' in the LPS that were really java moss wrapped around Styrofoam or something. Maybe if I can't find plain JM I can find one of those and just take it off or? I'll try. Thanks again. Iv still been testing my water everyday so I definitely can keep an eye on my water quality to.

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yes, those moss balls would work too, but you will probably get more moss for your money if you can find it without the styraphome. you could buy a moss ball and trim it, then grow more java moss from the clipping in a sperate container to get more faster

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I haven't been able to get Java Moss yet but they are doing ok. I will get it as soon as I can because Id like to have it for my aquarium too. I have 6 lil ones for sure, (maybe others are hiding in the wisteria out or in the net) 6 are swimming all around in the open (well in the net in the open). They are such cute lil ones! (only thing is what I'm going to do when they are grown... ... Maybe I need another tank!)

heres a pic, they are not exactly easy to photograph...but I tried and heres a picture anyway.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good luck FL Girl. I accidentally raised 7 danio fry in the horrid old container I throw my dirty tank water before I put in on the garden. I'd hate to think how many went on the garden. They must be pretty sturdy to survive what I did to them!

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks! Congrats on yours making it!! lol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads