Question Found A Breeding Pair At Lfs...

HoneyBun

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey folks! I found a nice breeding pair of marbles at the LFS and I had a few questions. It’s important to note that I’m not too interested in breeding/raising fry so I intend to leave the parents be with their eggs. I want to observe their unique behavior. And no, I did not buy them...yet!

1) What are the chances of angelfish “divorce”? I know it happens, but I wanted to know (ballpark guess), if it’s a common occurrence or more of a rare thing. I want them to “get along”. I don’t mind squabbling, just no damage.

2) Can I just leave the eggs with the parents. I understand that a breeding pair will be aggressive to intruders so I plan to put them in their own 37 gal. However, should I add some kind of dither to redirect aggression? I’d prefer it if they didn’t “fight” amongst themselves, at least not viciously.

3) if I do add other fish (mainly Corys and maybe some danios), can I expect (more like hope) a very low hatch rate/survival of the fry?

Thank you <3.

OP
HoneyBun

HoneyBun

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bump! My LFS owner is allowing me take the pair home to see how they do. Just a little bit worried since I’ve read some disturbing stories of angelfish pairs suddenly killing/attacking their mates after years of peaceful spawning/co-existing!

New Threads