Found 55 gallon tank on side of road!

Wolfgang8810
today on my way home I saw a 55 gallon tank sitting by the side of the road naturally I stopped traffic and grabbed it lol its pretty dirty and smelled pretty bad but that's probally just bacteria decaying Ive washed it out and its sitting without water for a few days there was also a power filter inside it too! a whisper 60 I threw away the mechanical filter and ac but I kept the black bio filter but washed them out as I didnot know what kinda icky BAD bacteria was in them so oh well ill have to cycle it no big but I'm wondering what I can use to clean the white build up on the glass??

Tom
Wow, congrats on the great find.
Tom

Kevin
LUCKY!
now i'm gonna have to drive all around town trying to find unwanted tanks...and furniture for stands
congrats on the free tank...does it hold water?

Wolfgang8810
yea it holds water but it has a lot of white buildup that gets slimy when you put water on it. what can I use to remove that? just a scruby sponge? the tank is glass.

Tom
yea it holds water but it has a lot of white buildup that gets slimy when you put water on it. what can I use to remove that? just a scruby sponge? the tank is glass.
Buy one of those algae sponges and use a mix of vinegar and water to clean it. That should clean it up nicely.
Tom

Wolfgang8810
sweet thanks tom

Tom
sweet thanks tom
Your welcome, I used that to clean out a tank that had been sitting for about 6-7 years with some water in it.
Tom

Wolfgang8810
were the bacrteria still alive in the water?

Tom
were the bacrteria still alive in the water?
I don't know, the water was that milky color like it had been sitting there for ages. It was kind of discusting. And it wasn't like regular water, it was like a syrup. Just thinking about it makes me gag.
Tom

Wolfgang8810
WHAT KIND OF VINAGRE? DISTILLED WHITE OR DOES IT MATTER?

Tom
WHAT KIND OF VINAGRE? DISTILLED WHITE OR DOES IT MATTER?
I don't it matters, but I used white, it was the only stuff in the house. But get a very clean bucket,fill it about 1/8 with vinegar and 1/2 with water, so there is a total of 5/8(oor closest to it) of the mix, and then go to town with it(not literally).
Tom

Wolfgang8810
SWEET THANKS

Wolfgang8810
I LOVE FREES SUFF BUT ITS GONNA COST ME ANOTHER 50 OR SO DOLLARS BEFORE ITS ACCEPTABLE FOR MY TASTE LOL STUFF IS EXPENSIVE HERE IN FLORIDA

Tom
I LOVE FREES SUFF BUT ITS GONNA COST ME ANOTHER 50 OR SO DOLLARS BEFORE ITS ACCEPTABLE FOR MY TASTE LOL STUFF IS EXPENSIVE HERE IN FLORIDA
It is really expensive here too. For a kg(2.2lbs) of gravel it costs something like $5-8, and a huge bag of gravel(about 20lbs) costs like $30-40. This isn't one of the cheapesst hobbies out there, but it is still great.
Tom

Sabi
today on my way home I saw a 55 gallon tank sitting by the side of the road naturally I stopped traffic and grabbed it lol its pretty dirty and smelled pretty bad but that's probally just bacteria decaying Ive washed it out and its sitting without water for a few days there was also a power filter inside it too! a whisper 60 I threw away the mechanical filter and ac but I kept the black bio filter but washed them out as I didnot know what kinda icky BAD bacteria was in them so oh well ill have to cycle it no big but I'm wondering what I can use to clean the white build up on the glass??
Wow! Man you are lucky! I wonder who'd be so dumb to chuck a tank on the roadside! Goodluck!

It is really expensive here too. For a kg(2.2lbs) of gravel it costs something like $5-8, and a huge bag of gravel(about 20lbs) costs like $30-40. This isn't one of the cheapesst hobbies out there, but it is still great.
Tom
Yeah that's very true. The tank is one thing, all the equipment etc is another and pretty expensive too, sometimes costing as much as the tank itself!

COBettaCouple
congrats on the great find!

capekate
Hey that sounds fantastic!! what a great find! Now you can skip the expense of a new tank, and put that "extra" money you saved into equipment. NIIIIICE! ;D

Wolfgang8810
YUPP ATLEAST IT HAD I FILTER IN IT LOL

capekate
YEP.. its always great if it has a filter with it too! ;D

Sabi
Well that doesn't leave much to buy, gravel, heater,lights and a few others!

bert2001
Wow! Man you are lucky! I wonder who'd be so dumb to chuck a tank on the roadside! Goodluck!

Tom
Yeah that's very true. The tank is one thing, all the equipment etc is another and pretty expensive too, sometimes costing as much as the tank itself!

Evere heard of the saying, "there's no such thing as a free puppy"? Well, I guess this applies to fish as well. Two of my tanks were "free" and it cost me a few hundred dollars getting them up, running, and stocked.

Congrats on the find though and good luck with it.

Kevin
what are you going to stock it with?

Wolfgang8810
I really have no idea. definaltely a lot of live plants because they look nice but as for fish I think I'm going to have a blue lobster because I love them lol but other than that I really am not quite sure yet any ideas?

Tom
Go with discus. It might cost a lot, and you would have to adbandon the lobster idea, but you will have many hours of beauty.
Tom

Wolfgang8810
that's the rpoblem with discus all teh places by me treat them bad or they don't look great because of the treatment they really are beautiful fish but I just can't see myself spending 60 bucks on a fish when I'm so new to this scene

Tom
What you should do is see if there are any local breeders in your area and see if they have discus. Usually local breeders have the best fish around.
Tom

Wolfgang8810
il check that out

Tom
il check that out
Because there is a great breeder that has discus near me and he sells them for about $10-20 each for the plain colored ones and about $50 for the really colorful ones, I guess I am really lucky in that sense.
Tom

Wolfgang8810
indeed you are
there are very few fish shops in Florida where I am ironically

Tom
If you are close to where FLBC lives, maybe they can help you out.
Tom

COBettaCouple
Tom

I wish I could, but we're in the same situation. even in FL, a small town kinda screws you on things like a good fish shop.

Wolfgang8810
what does FLBC stand for?

Tom
Tom

I wish I could, but we're in the same situation. even in FL, a small town kinda screws you on things like a good fish shop.
Oh ya, that's right, I forgot you moved to Denver(unless you haven't yet).
Tom

Tom
what does FLBC stand for?
FLBettaCouple, it is so much faster to just type four letters than that huge name.
Tom

Wolfgang8810
there pretty far from where I'm at I would spend 50 bucks in gas jsut to get there lol

Tom
there pretty far from where I'm at I would spend 50 bucks in gas jsut to get there lol
My mistake.
Tom

COBettaCouple
lol, well we're in st.augustine now, but we'll be in denver in 3 weeks, give or take a couple days.

Wolfgang8810
the 55 gallon I found on the side of the road has a small chip in the corner of the glass it is being held in by the silicone is it safe or would this be desastaropus if I filled it up and it leaked everywhere? what can I do to make it more water worthy?

Chief_waterchanger
If it is only the silicone holding it in it is not safe. Best idea would be to fill it up outside in your yard and leave it for an hour or two, and even that would not guarantee that it would hold water in the longterm.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KelceyMaeraei
Replies
Views
KimAnnKitz
Replies
Views
Fanatic
Replies
Views