fostering shrimp-goby symbiosis??

1. jarzy_be Initiate Member

Hey everyone, I'm totally stoked to find such an active community on the aquarium hobby!

That said- I think I made a totally boneheaded mistake-I've got a 14 gallon biocube that is well established.

I've got a very small white spotted puffer and just recently purchased a Randall's goby and Randall's shrimp. I wanted to form a symbiotic relationship between the goby and the puffer..the guys at the store said the shrimp and goby will help protect each other. I've been feeding the puffer very well to chill him out..he's on the docile end for a puffer

How can I help foster the symbiotic relationship the shrimp and goby will form?

I haven't seen the shrimp since I put it in and I'm worried the puffer may have eaten the shrimp. The goby just hangs out and seems fine.

Here's a link of the shrimp, about 1/2 inch in size...http://www.freshmarine.com/randall-pistol-shrimp.html

:;dk

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi and welcome! :)

There isn't really much you can do to make your pistol and goby pair up. I've seen them pair up and be inseparable, I've seen them ignore each other, and the goby and pistol I have are somewhere in the middle- they'll hang out from time to time but that's about it.

I very much doubt that your puffer has eaten your shrimp (although it is possible). Pistol shrimp are incredibly adept at hiding. I've gone for months at a time without seeing mine, but I know it's alive because I hear it pop several times a day. Watch for burrows in your sand- that might give you a clue of where your shrimp is hiding.

As you probably know already, a puffer is not a suitable choice for a 14 gallon tank. Is there any chance you could return it and get a fish that stays smaller instead?

3. jarzy_be Initiate Member

Thanks Harpua..Yes I do know this...unfortunately I do sometimes impulsively make choices that push the limits of my tank. I was told that this particular puffer is very slow growing, and I purchased him very small. He is maybe slightly larger than the size of a quarter. I plan on moving him out in a year or so. Do you think this will work?

As for the shrimp, yes I saw the burrows, and that the puffer likely won't eat him relieves me! I also read about the clicking sound, which I have yet to hear but am curious about.

I thought the pairing would be much more visible, but its only been a few days... I'll hope for the best...Should I try moving some of the rocks out or physically putting the two close together?

Thanks again

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think you should try moving anything around. They will find each other, and either they will pair, or they won't.

I don't think the puffer is going to be a good idea over the next year, but obviously that's just my opinion. ;) If nothing else, think about how much the puffer limits what else you can keep... shrimp and snails are out for sure, and they're much better suited to a 14 gallon than the puffer. Also, rehoming the puffer reduces the chances that its growth will be stunted, and allows you to keep another small fish or 2.