Forth inch whit worms on glass! Help!

NearMeBettas

I have forth inch white worms crawling on the glass inside my live planted betta aquarium. Also have these little white things swimming in the water. Not Mich bigger then a pin head. I have betta fry and there dad in the tank so really concerned! What can I do to kill the worms? Are they dangerous? What the heck are they!? The worms are in the picture. I can see them moving. I am really grossed out. I got some wild hornwort but quarantined it for 3 weeks first! It is in a devided tank that my 2 $53.48 betta's I ordered coming tomorrow are going in!

Rose of Sharon

My guess is that they are probably detritius worms; I can't see clearly enough in your pic, though.. I have had them in every single aquarium that I have ever had. They are not dangerous, and some bettas will actually hunt and eat them. If you do an internet search, you will see pics of them. They appear as a result of the bio load in the tank. When you do your water changes, cleaning, and vacuuming, you will get rid of a lot of them.

The other worm is a planeria worm. They are not good. I have never had planeria worms, but I do know that they can come from live plants in some instances. Since you quarantined your plant, hopefully, these are not planeria. From the pictures that I have seen of them, you can actually see their eyes, or what passes for eyes, on either side of their head.

Upvote 0

Samyjade99

I have forth inch white worms crawling on the glass inside my live planted betta aquarium. Also have these little white things swimming in the water. Not Mich bigger then a pin head. I have betta fry and there dad in the tank so really concerned! What can I do to kill the worms? Are they dangerous? What the heck are they!? The worms are in the picture. I can see them moving. I am really grossed out. I got some wild hornwort but quarantined it for 3 weeks first! It is in a devided tank that my 2 $53.48 betta's I ordered coming tomorrow are going in!
I actually saw this somewhere. If you search up, "small white freshwater worms on glass?" then it should show you how to treat them! I dont know much myself, sorry.

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

My guess is that they are probably detritius worms; I can't see clearly enough in your pic, though.. I have had them in every single aquarium that I have ever had. They are not dangerous, and some bettas will actually hunt and eat them. If you do an internet search, you will see pics of them. They appear as a result of the bio load in the tank. When you do your water changes, cleaning, and vacuuming, you will get rid of a lot of them.

The other worm is a planeria worm. They are not good. I have never had planeria worms, but I do know that they can come from live plants in some instances. Since you quarantined your plant, hopefully, these are not planeria. From the pictures that I have seen of them, you can actually see their eyes, or what passes for eyes, on either side of their head.
worms! Thank you!!
Yep, definitely detritius
worms! Thank you!!
Yep, definitely detritius
The little ones are not planeria worms. They are literally about the size of a pin head. Very tiny. I can hardly see them. They are swimming around the tank randomly.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I dont see much in your pic but I would guess they are deritus. I dont see any thicker ones like planeria.

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

I actually saw this somewhere. If you search up, "small white freshwater worms on glass?" then it should show you how to treat them! I dont know much myself, sorry.
Thank you!!

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

They are just something that we live with when we have aquariums!

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

They are just something that we live with when we have aquariums!
I am not grossed out anymore LOL! I though they might be a parasite or something. I am so relieved!!

Upvote 0

Broggy

they come naturally, usually once fish go in the tanks, they will eat them. I have had large pond snails snack on them as well.

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

Could the little ones be Copepods? Are they that small????

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Yes they are super small.

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

Yes they are super small.
Ok, so I scraped a piece of hair algae of the divider with the "white specs on it", put a drop of water on the slide, put the algae on it, and looked at it under my microscope. They were definitely not worms. They look like half tick half shrimp and bounced almost. They definitely look like copepods. It was so gross and cool looking at the deritus under the microscope!!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GeroBetta
Replies
Views
mrsP
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Some worms in the tank?
Replies
Views