Forming a school

PlantZombie

Hello fish lore, I have 2 glofish danios in my 20 gallon tank and I want a total of six but my LFS doesnt have the colors I want. Can I mix glofish tetras and glofish danios to form a school? Or will the danios feel stressed and outnumbered?

Broggy

they should school together, I highly doubt they would be intimidated by each other. but for optimal schooling, you should get the same colors.

Upvote 0

FishAndDoom

That won't work out. The danios will only school with other danios, the tetras only school with other tetras.

Upvote 0

PlantZombie

Ahh so maybe I should consider keeping all glofish danios in the colors I have? (I have plans to do cory cats or something of that sort too but I have not decided yet)

Upvote 0

Broggy

That won't work out. The danios will only school with other danios, the tetras only school with other tetras.
actually, you may be right, danios can be a little more agresive for swimming room. PlantZombie, I would get more danios.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I dont think they have to be the same colors just the same kind of fish!

Upvote 0

PlantZombie

Thank you everyone for your advice. One thing ive learned so far is to never fully trust the LFS cuz at the end of the day, its their job to just make the sale.

Upvote 0

Cawafuoshi

Was looking today at GloFish (TM) at PetSmart. So, I got a petco and a PetSmart selling GloFish (TM). And until a week ago, I didn't know they existed. Then I thought they were out of stock everywhere online or banned in the state. And now, I could have them all

How do you like your danios? Do they really glow under a blue light? Do you have the GloFish (TM) tank with black glass? And how did you end up with just 2? They should be together in school of at least 6 or so.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Was looking today at GloFish (TM) at PetSmart. So, I got a petco and a PetSmart selling GloFish (TM). And until a week ago, I didn't know they existed. Then I thought they were out of stock everywhere online or banned in the state. And now, I could have them all

How do you like your danios? Do they really glow under a blue light? Do you have the GloFish (TM) tank with black glass? And how did you end up with just 2? They should be together in school of at least 6 or so.
Im pretty sure you dont need the TM by the glofish.

Upvote 0

Cawafuoshi

Im pretty sure you dont need the TM by the glofish.
They are the Monsanto (TM) of the seas and fresh water aquarium trade. Better to be safe than sorry

Also, my video gaming history goes back to the hey day of LucasArts (TM) adventure games and the (TM) has become a trade mark of their tongue in cheek humor

Now, I have to wait another 6 weeks or so until its GloFish (TM) time

Gosh, one has to love America. GloFish (TM)! Endless possibilities (let that be the only somewhat political comment by me, the immigrant! )

Upvote 0

FishAndDoom

they should school together, I highly doubt they would be intimidated by each other. but for optimal schooling, you should get the same colors.
Colors are completely irrelevant to the fish. Glofish danios will still school with regular zebra danios. And any color Glofish danio will school with a different colored Glofish danio. I'm no scientist but it has to be something biological. They can tell what's one of them and what isn't.

Making a school of mixed danios and tetras would just be useless and end up stressing both kinds of fish. Just stick with the danios. And unless you're going for the one color look you can mix the colors of the Glo danios.

Upvote 0

PlantZombie

I think the danios are really cool fish. They are quick swimmers and they play with each other. My plan was to do an ecosystem tank. But my gf bought me the 2 danios before the tank was done with its cycle. So now I am carefully playing amature fish doctor with amonia levels. Lol, but you do not need any special glofish tank or any special glofish light. They glo just fine under my little clip on aqueon LED lamp with blue light setting. I just want to upgrade my lighting as my tank gets planted for a full spectrum.

Upvote 0

Cawafuoshi

Good luck! If you monitor everything, they should survive I would say

I believe their branded 10G tank is with black tinted glass, but I could be wrong. No, they don't need a special tank, I agree. But I was wondering the effect of black tinted glass.

Upvote 0

PlantZombie

Thank you! Lol however I cannot provide anyother comments reguarding lights/ tinted glass because I am still learning too. Haha

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

You can create one school of danios with any color glo danio and the regular danio ririo. And I think they will also school with other 2 inch danio species like the spotted, or the leopard.

IDK if anyone has said this yet. Glo fish are obviously bright and great without any specieal conditions. But Yes they do glow under a black light. I bought a black light flash light to view my glo shark, its well worth seeing, but I dont recomend leaving a black like on in the aquarium for a signigant ammount of time, as I read that is not healthy.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ktbrantmyer
  • Question
Replies
Views
Vegetarianpanda
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Skirt Tetra Help!!!!
Replies