Forgotten food

eligri

Reaction score
Hey!

I found a bag of Hikari cichlid pellets that I bought 13 months ago. Fed them actively for probably like 1/2 year, then forgot about them once I got a different pellet size. Are they still safe to feed? Maybe used them a few times since, but not frequently.
Best by date says 2021 may, but I'm not sure how accurate that is since bag is opened.

Also got some flakes that are 1-1.5 years old; best by date june 2021. Some algae wafers 1-1.5 years, best by december 2021.
Are these safe to feed or not?

Those algae wafers I only used for a few months, then like once a month after that. The flakes I fed often.

Stored in a dark cabinet, room temperature.

Thanks!

OP
E

eligri

Reaction score
fishkeeper19524 said:
They are safe, though they probably won't be as nutritious
Maybe alright to give when also feeding some new food?

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They should be fine. Even if they're expired most pellets and flakes are fine long after the date listed.

OP
E

eligri

Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
They should be fine. Even if they're expired most pellets and flakes are fine long after the date listed.
Even when opened?

Left the flake can open a few nights when my feisty Oscar splashed a couple drops of water in it, but otherwise been decent at closing it. Other two have been closed and stored dark pretty much all the time (when not feeding ofc).

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
eligri said:
Even when opened?

Left the flake can open a few nights when my feisty Oscar splashed a couple drops of water in it, but otherwise been decent at closing it. Other two have been closed and stored dark pretty much all the time (when not feeding ofc).
The only thing I'd be worried about with that situation is mold. If it didn't dry out completely before you put the lid back on then you could have mold growing in there.

New Threads