Forgot to wash the sand, will it get better?

devsi

In my excitement to set up the new tank, I forgot to wash the sand.

Will the filter take care of it, or do I need to remove it/start again?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 7

A201

The dirt will eventually settle & weekly water changes will
clear things up.

SparkyJones

once it settles all that it can, the filter can likely take care of it if the media is fine filtering. if it's too porous it won't catch it. you are going to have to rinse out the filter daily to remove what it captures,and when you disturb the bottom that stuff is going to kick up again and again.

the tank doesn't look that large, it might be worth just removing it washing it and starting over.

you can also try water changing it while stirring the bottom. so it all gets kicked up and maybe a lot fo the suspending stuff comes out in a water change or two or four.

I'd hate for you to lose the layers though. or remove it and scrap that and start over.... I think just water change it away, and stir the top sand layer a bit to kick up more of the dust. You are going to have to do water changes anyways, might as well get a bunch of practice in! :)

devsi

The dirt will eventually settle & weekly water changes will
clear things up.
the tank doesn't look that large, it might be worth just removing it washing it and starting over.

you can also try water changing it while stirring the bottom. so it all gets kicked up and maybe a lot fo the suspending stuff comes out in a water change or two or four.
Ah that’s not quite so easy! It’s a walstad so disturbing the bottom like that could have even worse consequences haha.
I'd hate for you to lose the layers though. or remove it and scrap that and start over.... I think just water change it away, and stir the top sand layer a bit to kick up more of the dust. You are going to have to do water changes anyways, might as well get a bunch of practice in! :)
Ah this is my seventh tank, so water change practice isn’t an issue haha. You’d think I’d have learnt to wash the stuff by now!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SparkyJones
  • Question
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies