Forgot to mix warm water when doing WC for betta! Help! Will he be okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishtailBraid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Exactly what it says on the tin. I am such an idiot. Poor Smoky. Will he be alright? Looks like the temp has dropped about 6 degrees. I'm so scared. How long will it take to return to normal? He seemed really shocked but I only realised why once I'd put the water in. Thank goodness the weather is hot so it didn't drop further. I also just added 2 plants which have totally changed the tank so he must be so confused right now poor thing. :'(

Is there anything I can do? Heater is back on; filter is off because I thought the plants would be a good baffle (so removed my plastic one) but turns out they aren't. Too scared to open top to put the old baffle back in because I fear he might jump.

Would it help to turn the heater UP (say to 32 degress C) to get the temperature up faster?

He is sitting over near his heater. Poor little guy. I feel so bad. I really hope he is okay. He doesn't seem stupendously stressed but I just don't know.

How do I tell if he's in temperature shock? Other than his initial response (not swimming up to play in the stream of incoming water as usual) and hanging round the heater a bit, he has not done anything unusual.

Temp seems to have dropped to 22.72 C, from 26.78.

He is still swimming around (currently on top of his heater) and does not seem to be panicking. Swam over to me when I put my face near the tank looking for him. Would it help to feed him dinner (it's his dinner time?)

I put his baffle back on and put the filter on to help mix the heat around. Heater is set to approx 25C so temp should rise about 2-3 degrees from where it is now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't turn the heater up as you don't want to raise the temperature too quickly.
A few degrees drop shouldn't affect him too much though he may not be happy for a few hours, just keep an eye on him.

OP
F

FishtailBraid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Coradee!

Poor Smoky!

I just looked online and the current weather in the closest city to me is 22 degrees (plus it was about a 70% water change so it would have been moderated by the temp of the other 30%). I suspect it is warmer here as it was a hot day and we're close to the ocean. And the water may have been warmish from being in the pipes. It doesn't feel, to me, too much colder in the tank now than when I got my fingers wet taking the water samples.

So hopefully I've just been really, really lucky that I made this mistake in warm weather.

I experimentally gave him a single pellet just now, and he ate it immediately. Is there any reason not to give him the rest of his dinner?

ETA: The heater is set at about 25-27 degrees (it's really hard to see the dial) - I haven't changed it since before this disastrous water change. Should I make it lower, so the temp rises more slowly, or just leave it as it was?

Incidentally it dropped 6 degrees Celsius, not Fahrenheit. That's worse, right? :'(

Looks like the temp is up to 23.74C now. Is it rising too fast?

He seems to be "wiggling" slightly more than usual when swimming. He sometimes did swim like that before, especially when excited, but seems to be doing it a lot now. Not sure if he is reacting to the temperature or the new plants. He is also taking a lot of oxygen bubbles from the surface.

I'm really worried because I'm supposed to be going away for a couple of days tomorrow (about 13 hours from now). Should I delay leaving to keep more of an eye on him?

ETA: I gave him his dinner and he ate it quickly as usual. Is it a good sign that he's still eating?

He is now hanging out continuously near the surface - still swimming around actively - but taking a lot of oxygen bubbles. Unfortunately due to the new plants, I can't tell if his changing swim pattern is due to temperature or due to being scared of the plants. (He is always scared of new things in tank.)

UPDATE: It's over an hour since the big disaster and things are still looking okay. Temp is climbing: currently about 25C. Smoky is swimming around at all levels, still seems to be taking air bubbles more frequently than normal but I may be imagining things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't have much experience as living in Texas my water usually comes out near ideal temperature. However, I tend not to worry much about a slight drop or rise in temperature. My thought is in the wild there will always be shady spots, small creeks feeding a body of water, or several other situations that would lead to a natural few degree swing one way or another quickly. This probably applies more to river type fish as opposed to a betta's natural habitat but I think Smoky should be fine. If he's like most bettas he spent a while in a cup on a shelf at room temperature.

OldeOne

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't be worried, and here's why. He knows to swim next to your heater. In THAT particular spot, the water temperature is probably just fine. When the rest of the tank is warmer, I bet he'll just venture right out and explore.

....Maybe you should knit a tiny sweater and hat for him in preparation for the upcoming winter? XD

OP
F

FishtailBraid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Coradee, Chriss99, OldeOne and Acereaux!

Smoky is going well! He made a new bubblenest, this time on his new silk plants. I also got him a new in-tank thermometer as I was getting disillusioned with the stick-on one - about six temperatures would be "on" at once so I could never tell the actual temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom