Forgot To Cycle!

BettaPrince

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I went ahead and ordered two bettas(on their way) and forgot to cycle my tank . Is it possible for my bettas to survive if I do frequent water changes/monitor water parameters everyday. I'm also gonna buy a apI test kit soon. They're giant betta if that makes any different, and one will be in a 10 gallon and the other will be in a 15 gallon, sponge filter, and heater. Also if a fishless cycle was done, and then 1 betta was added to the tank, will that 1 betta produce enough to ammonia to keep the bacteria colony alive?

Oh and I will have java moss, lucky bamboo, and Indian almond leaves in tank

OP
B

BettaPrince

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
smee82 said:
Just do daily water changes until your tank is cycled and you should be fine.
With the betta in the tank?

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's called a fish in cycle and it is perfectly safe. Keep the filters running 24/7. and give the plants 12-14 hours on a light timer. In tanks those sizes with no other fish, take out 25% of the water two or three times a week, replacing it with conditioned water of the same temperature.
Add no other fish.
In about 5 weeks, you are good to drop back to once a week water changes.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BettaPrince said:
With the betta in the tank?
Yes. A basic explanation is that you are removing "dirty" water and replacing it with"clean" water until your cycle can keep the water "clean" itself.

colossaldingus

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BettaPrince, I actually just lost a betta to an uncycled tank and would warn you that it is a bit risky. Bettas are tough cookies, however, so it is possible (although I would exercise caution regardless) for them to make it through a fish-in cycle. Testing the water daily is a great idea and I would definitely recommend that. If you haven't done so already, you should probably buy a bacterial starter to help speed up the cycling process. The less of the developing cycle your fish has to experience, the better.

As for your second question, yes, a fishless-cycled tank will maintain a cycle with only one betta. Remember that it's not only your fish producing waste, but little bits of uneaten food and broken roots/parts of your plants that come off and degrade in the tank (ok it sounds really gross when I mention this stuff but the point I was trying to make was that even if you just have one fish, there will be enough waste to maintain a cycle).

If you want to do more reading about fish-in cycle, which would be a good idea IMO, here's some links:
The Fish-In Cycle | Adventures in Aquaria

In the future, definitely try to cycle your tanks ahead of time. Fish-in cycles do work, but they come with a set of risks that are easily avoidable these days thanks to stuff like bacterial starters being more readily available.

Best of luck to you and your fish! I hope they transition to their new home ok. You sound like you really care about your fish, and considering what kind of homes most bettas end up in, they're really lucky to have you.

OP
B

BettaPrince

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
colossaldingus said:
BettaPrince, I actually just lost a betta to an uncycled tank and would warn you that it is a bit risky. Bettas are tough cookies, however, so it is possible (although I would exercise caution regardless) for them to make it through a fish-in cycle. Testing the water daily is a great idea and I would definitely recommend that. If you haven't done so already, you should probably buy a bacterial starter to help speed up the cycling process. The less of the developing cycle your fish has to experience, the better.

As for your second question, yes, a fishless-cycled tank will maintain a cycle with only one betta. Remember that it's not only your fish producing waste, but little bits of uneaten food and broken roots/parts of your plants that come off and degrade in the tank (ok it sounds really gross when I mention this stuff but the point I was trying to make was that even if you just have one fish, there will be enough waste to maintain a cycle).

If you want to do more reading about fish-in cycle, which would be a good idea IMO, here's some links:
The Fish-In Cycle | Adventures in Aquaria

In the future, definitely try to cycle your tanks ahead of time. Fish-in cycles do work, but they come with a set of risks that are easily avoidable these days thanks to stuff like bacterial starters being more readily available.

Best of luck to you and your fish! I hope they transition to their new home ok. You sound like you really care about your fish, and considering what kind of homes most bettas end up in, they're really lucky to have you.
Thank you so much for all this info, and yes I ordered the tetra safestart yesterday. I will be putting that in before adding the fish. I do hope they'll be okay. They are hard cookies though, I had a sorority that survived through cycling when I didn't know nitrogen cycle was a thing lol. I also plan on breed these two giants so I will definitely cycle the breeding tank. Tyty I have a cycled goldfish tank but I definitely wouldnot
use that for my bettas

colossaldingus

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No problem! I hope when you get your fish you post some pictures. Giant bettas are really cool

New Threads