Forgot To Cycle Cichlid Tank- Trying To Take Action

mayorparsnip

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's OK to dose Prime daily and to put it directly in the tank

I don't have experience in ordering live plants or fish. However, I have seen many recommend ebay for live plants and am probably going to do it since I can't find what I want locally. I've been pricing some plants there lately and find the cost and shipping to be better than online stores that specialize in that type of thing.

Even better, look in the buy sell trade section of this forum. I think there are some regular plant sellers, maybe @Dolfan??? I would feel much better about buying plants from a fellow fishlorian than from a stranger I'll be looking into that myself tonight.

Forgot to mention - Prime is safe to use at up to 5x it's normal dosage. This would be in an emergency with higher ammonia levels than you are reporting. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about OD'ing your fish If your ammonia is 1ppm or less you'll be good dosing daily for your tank volume.
Thank you SO MUCH for addressing my concern about using the 5x dosage and the ammonia levels. I will keep it the ammonia under 1ppm but I won't go wild. Gotta establish the cycle after all.

SADLY the fish has signs of some fin rot but I think it's due to stress and low tank temperature (it's not outside of the safe range, just on the low end around 72). It's very active other than that (SO AGGRESSIVE!) and doesn't show any other signs of illness. I'll try to get a picture if necessary but I'm pretty sure it's just the typical "ich" I'm just confused because it's the only fish in there, the tank is new and everything in it has never come in contact with other fish.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Does the fish have white spots and fin rot? I think ich is harder to diagnose than people think. I thought my goldie had ich but he didn't respond to treatment and in fact got worse. So, now I've started a different treatment for flukes and a secondary bacterial infection. I am waiting to see if the new meds will help. I am by no means good at diagnosing but treatments for ich and fin rot are different. You may want to start a thread about what you think he has in the Fish Diseases section of the forum and try to include a picture. There is lots of help there

mayorparsnip

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Does the fish have white spots and fin rot? I think ich is harder to diagnose than people think. I thought my goldie had ich but he didn't respond to treatment and in fact got worse. So, now I've started a different treatment for flukes and a secondary bacterial infection. I am waiting to see if the new meds will help. I am by no means good at diagnosing but treatments for ich and fin rot are different. You may want to start a thread about what you think he has in the Fish Diseases section of the forum and try to include a picture. There is lots of help there
I am certainly willing to listen to any advice I can get and DEFINTELY not certain it's actual "ich." No white spots on the body, but where the tail is frayed it is a little white. I'm going to try to get a picture. Problem is I'm cycling my tank and I don't know if I can treat without stressing her out, but lets get a diagnosis first and go from there.. okay gonna try to get that pic and I'll post in the dieases. Thank you.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom