LaTulip

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Can anyone tell me the name of these plants? I know I have Amazon sword, duckweed, frog bit, hornwort, and a dwarf Lily, But the other ones in the tank I am just not sure or I don’t remember what they’re called. Oh I also know that I have Anubias nano. So any help id-omg these would be awesome.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The 3rd always messes me up, there are 3 plant species that all look similar with the same invasive growing habits. Elodea, Egeria and hydrilla.

Elodea is smaller in diameter, but only has whirls of 3 leaves, rarely more. Egeria densa has 4-6, that's why I guessed. Hydrilla usually has whirls of 5 and little teeth along the leaves making it feel rough to the touch.

Here's some info to help distinguish

Last edited:

LaTulip

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You guys are so amazing! Thanks I’m going to check out that link!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The reddish leaved plant in pic 1 with leaves pointing upward looks like reneiki to me, while the stems around it look like ludwigia repens. In my 120g, reneiki sp.mini and ludwigia repens looks the exact same!

The lighter green plant in the middle of pic 2 looks like rotala rotundifolia, the rest is anacharis/elodea/egeria

Pic 3 is all the same

(Just to separate the stems a little)

LaTulip

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So looking at those species you all just named, it appears I have
1. Red “scarlet” ludwigia
2. Rotala
3. Elodea

I tried googling basic terms like common aquatic plants but way too many came up lol
This was so much easier! Thanks a ton guys!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It could be regular ludwigia repens. The bottoms of the leaves are red while the tops are usually green. It can have more red on top of the leaf at the tip of the plant where it gets more light.

Well try googling the suggestions we all have and see what you think since you see them in person. Glad to help if I can!

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So looking at those species you all just named, it appears I have
1. Red “scarlet” ludwigia
2. Rotala
3. Elodea

I tried googling basic terms like common aquatic plants but way too many came up lol
This was so much easier! Thanks a ton guys!
The plant in the centre of photo 1 is alternanthera reineckii 'roseafolia', behind it looks like ludwigia repens 'rubin' as angelcraze pointed out, but more specifically if you're looking for care instructions or something on that exact species. Third photo kinda looks more like pearlweed (Hemianthus Micranthemoides) or at least some of it does, there maybe a few species in that mix.

Last edited:

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

LaTulip

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well hotdog! I thought I knew what we had! LOL - I think I’m going to have to wait a month or so and see how the plants in picture 1 develop. I think because they are so young I can’t tell.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom