Forced To Re-cyclr Tank

BettaGirl93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Have you ever had to re-cycle your tank before?
I accidently got the wrong water conditioner which raised the oh and killed my betta that I had for over a year. Devastating. There was a sucker fish in the tank so I got the ph fixed, had the water tested, and was given the okay to bring in another betta. Later that night the sucker fish died. Pet store advises me to preemptively treat the tank with some medicine so I do because my new betta was beautiful and I did not want him dying. I get home for work the next day and my new boy was dead.
Brought another sample of water to be tested and was told that the water was too clean and that's why my fish died... how can all the other times I am told my parameters are perfect but now suddenly it's too clean?
I drained the tank, cleaned everything the best I could, and am starting a new cycle with a new filter.
Super annoyed.

tropez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I haven't had to recycle a tank before, **** I'm still on my initial cycle but I'm sorry to hear about your bad run and fish losses.

BettaGirl93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
tropez said:
I haven't had to recycle a tank before, I'm still on my initial cycle but I'm sorry to hear about your bad run and fish losses.
Thank you. I'm completely baffled how I was running basically perfection for over a year and then BAM death visited my tank.

hjack9090 said:
Don't listen to the stores, they only want to sell stuff
Ain't that the truth! They wanted me to this small bottle of stuff that supposedly puts bacteria in the tank. Small bottle and it was like 12 bucks. I can just clean and cycle my tank for free so that's what I did. It's just more time consuming the free way.

tropez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Prices at my local fish store on products is just outrageous. I went there yesterday to look around and kill time while waiting for my son to finish a class. I had ordered a 10 pack of Flourish Tabs off Amazon the other day for $6.49 and figured I would do a price check for the heck of it. $12.99 at the LFS, crazy, double the price. This is about normal for many of their products. API Freshwater kit, $40, Amazon $20-something. It's okay in an emergency but I will stick to just getting fish and plants from my LFS.

gracerig

Reaction score
Beware of medications, a lot of them kill nitrogen fixing bacteria and ruin your cycle. I try to only use them as a last resort. If you can get some filter media or substrate from an established tank that'll help cycle your tank again without having to start over completely. My small local pet store was nice enough to give me some filter media from one of their tanks after my cycle crashed.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom