Force Feeding A Fish?

KERRY CALVERT

Reaction score
My dojo loach suffered a debilitating bacterial illness and I have treated him with an antibiotic.
The bacterial infection is resolved, but the poor guy is now blind as the bacterial attack caused scar tissue over his eyes.

Because he senses through his antennas I am hoping he can recover enough to find food through the normal foraging he does.

But he doesn't seem to have an appetite. He has not eaten for 6 days now and I am not sure if the loss of appetite is hangover from the antibiotics or whether he has just decided to die.

I have tried putting food near his mouth and he responds by seemingly attempting to eat it but just spits it out. When rummaging in the tank he crosses food but does not eat, although this rummaging pattern is what he did when healthy when he was looking for food.

Is there a method for forcing nutrition into him?

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Have you tried using a eye dropper with frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp, I have a blind krib and I started by having some of the food hanging out and touch it to his barbells. If you can get it feeding I don't think he will have any trouble finding food.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to the sight KERRY. You may need to keep it up feeding him for awhile, mine will need to be feed for life, she will come out and up when I tap on the glass 3 times but unfortunately so has everybody else.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom