Forbidden Word Filter

Discussion in 'Forum Issues Log' started by JayH, Aug 22, 2019.

1. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +255
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Would it be possible to change the forbidden word filter to replace the words with "***" or something else to show that a word has been removed? Simply removing words often leaves portions of posts confusing and difficult to understand, if not outright reversing the intended meaning. This is especially a problem since about a tenth of the dictionary seems to be in the filter. At least if something was left in place of the removed string the reader would realize something was missing and perhaps be able to make sense of the sentence.

2. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +499
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeah, I fortunately caught the time a word was removed in my post and edited it. I used an acronym that apparently isn't allowed and removing it made my sentence be "That is ." Uh, that is what?? Not very helpful, I'd say. So I added in "nonsense" which doesn't have the same connotation and feeling as my original intention, but whatever.

3. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,426
    Experience:
    2 years
    unfortunately censoring words using symbols such as asterisks is also not allowed, so i don't think the mods will go for it. :|

4. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +4,000
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi, forgive me if I’m stating the obvious but if you don’t use curse/swear words, acronyms, characters etc as per Fishlore rule #2 then the system won’t have to block them

5. OP
    OP
    JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +255
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    The problem is that words in very common usage that no one I know would consider curse/swear words are removed by the filter. It's not like anyone is swearing like a stevedore on here. If it was only removing obvious curse words I wouldn't have said anything. I first noticed it when I posted about a well known video series concerning getting the most out of your filter. When "<word deleted> My Filter" showed up as "My Filter", I knew something was weird. Huggy Bear would be quite offended I'm sure, not to mention the Pond Guru.

And just to be clear, I'm not complaining only because of its impact on me as a poster. To my knowledge I've only been hit with it the one time. It's more the impact I've seen on other people's posts where I'm reading along and have to do a double or triple take because what they've written makes no sense. I saw one just recently where someone mentioned a well known dice game and it got changed to "I know it's a shoot about this working". Huh? Oh, yeah, naughty word filter at work. That sentence only took me about ten times longer than it should have to figure out.

I'm not advocating that the filter be removed or even loosened, just that instead of simply removing words, they be replaced with "<expletive deleted>" or something similar.

Finally, let me make one more point. One assumes it would be ideal if the filter had nothing to do because no one ever used the words on the filter list. The problem with the current approach is it provides no obvious negative feedback to the poster who might subsequently alter their language. Unless I had gone back and carefully read my post about the filters I would have never noticed the missing word. If, instead, the filter had replaced that word with "<expletive deleted>", I'd have clearly seen that and made a mental note to avoid that word in the future. With absolutely no feedback from the filter, no one is ever going to alter their posting behavior.

6. Mike

MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,568
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    @JayH - good points. Let me think about this for a bit.

Thanks,
    Mike

7. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,153
    Experience:
    5 years
    For the sake of a simple example, it doesn't like a word that starts with c-r, and ends with a-p. I don't think that would be considered a swear word, but what do I really know? lol

8. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +17,161
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yep!!! And I have said "it's a cr*pshoot" and had it removed.

You know....its a gamble? Theres a gambling game called that? Lol I use that term all the time.

9. OP
    OP
    JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +255
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I don't disagree that the filter is perhaps a bit aggressive in the words it filters, but I didn't want to get into that aspect of things as that's clearly a matter of opinion and I'm not the one running this site so my opinion matters rather little. I thought it best to accept that words will be filtered and stick with trying to make that work as well as possible for everyone.

10. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,153
    Experience:
    5 years
    True, but don't sell yourself short either. Mike does really care about what we think as long as we're not breaking rules.

11. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,037
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeah it’s hard to determine what words will offend which person (who in the world comes up with the list of “offensive” words anyway?)
    I do agree a little “word deleted” or “****” would make the poster sound less dumb though. Lol I once said “I’m a grammar na*i”. It came out “I’m a grammar...” luckily I proof read even after posting so I caught it and reworded the whole thing.

12. Mike

MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,568
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes, I and the mods do, very much so. The members are the life blood of this place. The mods and I just try to keep it clean, welcoming and safe for everyone to use the forum.

Curse words can be subjective and while someone might not be offended we will get complaints from people that are in fact offended. So, it's a catch-22 type of thing. You are going to make some people think it's silly at times.

Ok, I modified it so that the replacement text is **** instead of blanks. Let's see how it goes. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Mike

Become a Fishlore Member