For Those That Say Mystery Snails Won't Eat Plants...

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They most certainly will! Here are a couple eating a "Compacta Amazon" as it was labeled at Petsmart. They when I tried to get them off they hung on for dear life! This was despite the fact that there was collard greens, cabbage and carrots in the tank. But they are so lovable, who cares?

a5jhxLX.jpg

DioNrYw.jpg

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lol, I had a heavily planted tank until I added a mystery snail and within 5 days he ate all of my oak leaf, wisteria, rosette sword and dwarf hair grass. The only thing he left was the amazon sword.... I would watch him sit at the bottom of the tank while the stalks of my plants slowly got shorter and shorter as he funneled them down in to his pie hole

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wonder if you both accidentally ended up with an actual Apple Snail. Mystery Snails are related to Apple snails, which do eat live plants. But there are lots of different kinds, and a lot of pet stores don't pay attention to specific types I've noticed. I've had hundreds of Mystery Snails, and Apple Snails both, and my Mystery Snails have never eaten any live plants, only the dying parts. Though I always wonder how they know the difference between my plants, and the kale that I put it. They eat the Kale and cucumber, but not the tank plants. Heavily planted too. I've always found it really interesting, but thank goodness they haven't eaten my actual plants. Lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 3 21.4%

Top Bottom