For Fish-less Cycle: If Prime Neutralizes Ammonia - Wouldn't It Be Stalling Your Cycle?

jogypsygirl

New Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
6
Points
3
Experience
Just started
So I've read that when adding water from tap in a fishless cycle, you should add your prime because the chlorine can kill your BB in a bottle. HOWEVER, it occurs to me that if PRIME (or whatever water conditioner you are using) also neutralizes ammonia, then there is nothing for your BB to eat and you are just prolonging the process.... Anyone have an answer to that one?
 

Ulu

Well Known Member
Messages
1,835
Reaction score
997
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
My answer is I don't use prime to cycle a tank.

I think it can save your butt when you screw up.

But it's like starting out a new tire with a patch on it. Why make a hole in a brand new tire?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

jogypsygirl

New Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
6
Points
3
Experience
Just started
Ulu said:
My answer is I don't use prime to cycle a tank.

I think it can save your butt when you screw up.

But it's like starting out a new tire with a patch on it. Why make a hole in a brand new tire?
That's true especially since there is no fish in it to be affected by chlorine. So the untreated water with chlorine doesn't stall your cycle?
 

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Messages
529
Reaction score
109
Points
38
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha, I realized that too only after adding the bacteria in lol. You could boil the water for a while to get rid of cholrine and heavy metals usually. Or you could get a different conditioner, do a fish in cycle, add ammonia to the tank
 

Baba

Well Known Member
Messages
580
Reaction score
481
Points
108
Experience
4 years
jogypsygirl said:
So I've read that when adding water from tap in a fishless cycle, you should add your prime because the chlorine can kill your BB in a bottle. HOWEVER, it occurs to me that if PRIME (or whatever water conditioner you are using) also neutralizes ammonia, then there is nothing for your BB to eat and you are just prolonging the process.... Anyone have an answer to that one?
Prime is binding the toxic form of ammonia but it does not remove it from the system. It's still there and available to the BB. It might not be in the most accessible form but it's there.
If this is your concern, you could age your tap water to remove the chlorine. Prime is just convenience over having multiple buckets of aerated water standing around.
 

Baba

Well Known Member
Messages
580
Reaction score
481
Points
108
Experience
4 years
OneLittleBubble said:
Haha, I realized that too only after adding the bacteria in lol. You could boil the water for a while to get rid of cholrine and heavy metals usually. Or you could get a different conditioner, do a fish in cycle, add ammonia to the tank
Boiling will not remove heavy metals from water unless you evaporate it and let the steam condense.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

jogypsygirl

New Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
6
Points
3
Experience
Just started
OneLittleBubble said:
Haha, I realized that too only after adding the bacteria in lol. You could boil the water for a while to get rid of cholrine and heavy metals usually. Or you could get a different conditioner, do a fish in cycle, add ammonia to the tank
thanks!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

jogypsygirl

New Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
6
Points
3
Experience
Just started
Baba said:
Prime is binding the toxic form of ammonia but it does not remove it from the system. It's still there and available to the BB. It might not be in the most accessible form but it's there.
If this is your concern, you could age your tap water to remove the chlorine. Prime is just convenience over having multiple buckets of aerated water standing around.
good point. just have to plan ahead lol Thanks!
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,398
Reaction score
8,202
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
As others have already said. Prime doesn't remove the ammonia, it just renders it less harmful. Chlorine and some heavy metals are deadly to fish and they are also deadly to the bacteria you are trying to grow so using a water conditioner of some kind is a very good thing to do. Doesn't have to be Prime. That just happens to be the one I use.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

jogypsygirl

New Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
6
Points
3
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
As others have already said. Prime doesn't remove the ammonia, it just renders it less harmful. Chlorine and some heavy metals are deadly to fish and they are also deadly to the bacteria you are trying to grow so using a water conditioner of some kind is a very good thing to do. Doesn't have to be Prime. That just happens to be the one I use.
Ok,that makes sense, thank you!
 

Ulu

Well Known Member
Messages
1,835
Reaction score
997
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
I have used Prime and it has a very good reputation that I do not doubt.

But my theory is that if you can cycle without the extra chemistry, then it's better to do so.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,398
Reaction score
8,202
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Ulu said:
I have used Prime . and it has a very good reputation that I do not doubt.

But my theory is that if you can cycle without the extra chemistry, then it's better to do so.
I actually agree with this. The only thing I have ever felt was necessary is a water conditioner to take care of the chlorine that is so prevalent in most US water supplies.
 

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
2,049
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
Baba said:
Prime is binding the toxic form of ammonia but it does not remove it from the system. It's still there and available to the BB. It might not be in the most accessible form but it's there.
If this is your concern, you could age your tap water to remove the chlorine. Prime is just convenience over having multiple buckets of aerated water standing around.
Good answer, Baba! It does not take the ammonia out, just turns it to ammonium which is still beneficial to the cycle.
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Messages
13,529
Reaction score
9,826
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
One factor missed by most answers is the fact that most municipalities have switch from chlorine to chloramine which is more stable than chlorine and doesn't off gass very easily, so simply agging water or boiling it will not remove it. A dechorinator is needed to break the bond between chlorine and ammonia which renders it safe.
 

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
2,049
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
jogypsygirl said:
That's true especially since there is no fish in it to be affected by chlorine. So the untreated water with chlorine doesn't stall your cycle?
The chlorine can eat your bacteria.
 

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
2,049
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
jogypsygirl said:
So I've read that when adding water from tap in a fishless cycle, you should add your prime because the chlorine can kill your BB in a bottle. HOWEVER, it occurs to me that if PRIME (or whatever water conditioner you are using) also neutralizes ammonia, then there is nothing for your BB to eat and you are just prolonging the process.... Anyone have an answer to that one?
Also, don't add PRIME for 24 hours after adding BB in a bottle to your tank.
 

Ulu

Well Known Member
Messages
1,835
Reaction score
997
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
Because of the chloramine problem I always add enough water conditioner to deal with that and heavy metals, which is basically double the normal amount.

Years ago before chloramine I used to just let my water sit in the sun in a bucket. After a few hours it didn't smell like chlorine anymore and then it was safe.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19

jogypsygirl

New Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
6
Points
3
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
One factor missed by most answers is the fact that most municipalities have switch from chlorine to chloramine which is more stable than chlorine and doesn't off gass very easily, so simply agging water or boiling it will not remove it. A dechorinator is needed to break the bond between chlorine and ammonia which renders it safe.
Oh wow. I did not know that! thanks for the info!
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom